Chapter 14 - Dangerous Mission

Until Tuesday, time was spent training and just hanging around. Even though Ben and I would kiss, hug and hold hands, I don’t think things were “official” yet. We were just taking it one step at a time. We would often spend the night in each other’s room, but if you’re wondering, nothing else happened apart from hugging and a small kiss. I woke up each morning with pants on, just to let you know.

Before we knew it, it was Tuesday. As I usually was before going into any type of situation, I was nervous. I kept having some sort of bad feeling about this all, but I just ignored it. Probably just some type of stomach cramp or something.

We ate afternoon tea, got changed into our gear, and left. On the way to the factory, we were geared up in the car with earpieces, bullet – proof vests, and so on.

I looked at Ben, who was sitting next to me, and he gave me a nervous smile and squeezed my hand. I was nervous, and I could tell that he saw that. And I could tell that he was nervous too. A different agent was driving the car, Tracy was in the front and Penny was on the other side of me. In the car behind us, was Mr Mason, and the other agents.

We pulled up outside of the factory and I took a good look at the building. It was slightly large, but not overly large, and it looked very run – down. The metal fence surrounding the factory was starting to fall down at some parts of the fence.

The grass around the building was tall, and unkempt. The building was two storeys high and had many windows and doors. That meant many exits.

We waited in the car, until we got the signal that it was all clear. We hopped out of the car, and were handed a gun each. Then Penny, Ben and I met up with the other agents that were parked behind us. I recognized some of them from seeing them around the Headquarters, but I didn’t know them too well.

“Okay guys, listen up,” said Penny. We all looked at her, ready to hear what she had to say.

“Just a few things to remember. Firstly, we enter the building quietly and in single – file. Find any sort of information that you can whilst we are inside. If you are in danger, press the button on the pen that should be in your front pocket. Stay safe, and be wary of your surroundings. We have half an hour in the building, so make the most of it. You guys ready?” Penny said.

“Yes,” we all replied. I don’t think that I was though.

Penny than made her way up the path and towards the front gate, which was conveniently without a lock. Penny was in front of me, then there was another agent, then it was me, followed by Ben and two other agents behind him.

I treaded on the gravel pathway carefully, trying to make sure that my black sneakers wouldn’t make too much noise. The main entrance to the factory WAS locked, but one of the doors around the side wasn’t, so we walked in through there.

Penny pushed open the door, and it creaked quietly. It was quite dark inside the building, but my eyes soon adjusted. The floors were wooden and the walls were grey wallpaper. Around the sides of the room were many cupboards and benches, and in the middle of the room was a large dining table with chairs around it.

Around the room, were multiple boxes, which were stacked on top of each other and on the benches. There was an opening, which led to the kitchen and on the other side of the room was a staircase, which led to upstairs and what I believed to be bedrooms and so on.

“Let’s get to it,” Penny whispered, “Ben and Olivia, you two search the kitchen. We will search here, then we will all meet here and go upstairs,” Penny said. Ben and I nodded and made our way to the kitchen.

The kitchen was filthy. There were stacks upon stacks of dirty dishes with food still stuck to them, and ants and cockroaches were starting to crawl on them. The floor was mouldy, and there were wrappers everywhere.

I opened the door to the fridge, and most of the food seemed to be all right, but some of it was mouldy and smelly, like the block of cheese that was just sitting on the top shelf. I looked through, without finding anything interesting, and closed the door.

Ben was standing over the rubbish bin, trying to look through it without making it spill anywhere. It was pretty disgusting, but bins contained a lot of information about who lived in the building. Information that could possibly be useful.

I walked around the kitchen, and found a pile of bills. I took some screenshots of them with the phone, and put them back as they were. I also decided to take a picture of the kitchen, and put my phone away.

I moved around the side of the kitchen, and there was a wooden door. I pushed it open, and it led to a small laundry. I looked through the pile of dirty clothes, and gasped when I found something. It was Kaine’s shirt. He must be alive. I took a picture of it, and the other clothes, and put it back as it was before.

I went back to the kitchen to tell Ben of what I found, but I couldn’t see him where he was.

I looked around a bit more, but he was nowhere to be seen.

“Ben?” I whispered. I slowly moved around the side of the kitchen, towards where the dining table and boxes where. I pulled out my gun and held it in my hand; just for safety.

“Penny, where is B-“ I was about to say. Except as I walked into the room, nobody was in there either. Penny and the other agents were gone, as well. And I could hear no voice through my earpiece.

I was starting to get worried; where were they? Ben wouldn’t leave without telling me, and Penny told us to meet back in that room. I walked around a bit more, but nobody was to be seen.

“Penny? Ben?” I called out. There was no answer. I was about to open the door that led outside, when I heard a loud thump come from upstairs. I froze, and turned my head to the staircase.

I slowly made my way to the staircase, and I heard a loud yell come from upstairs. It came from the voice I knew only too well. It was Ben’s.