Chapter 3 - Turn of Events

Over the next few days, series of unusual events happened. Because it was the school holidays, I kept hoping that school would start soon so I could have some sort of normality back in my life.

One day, when I walked out the front of Zoe’s house to collect the mail for her, I noticed a car parked across the road. It was a black limousine and the windows were tinted so dark that you couldn’t see anything inside. Unusual… I was kind of freaked out by it, so I quickly grabbed the mail, ran inside and slammed the door shut behind me.

Zoe asked if I was all right, and I told her I was. I didn’t want her to be worried by the car across the street. Anyway, she may just notice it by herself. I looked through the window of the kitchen to see if was still there, but it was gone. Vanished.

I didn’t see the limo for another two days. But it was back, in the exact same spot, just sitting there. I wondered if anyone else has noticed the limo. So one afternoon when I saw the limo parked there, I shouted out to Zoe.

“Zoe, come here.” I called. She walked over to me.

“What’s up, Olive?” she asked. I pointed to the window.

“Look, there’s a limo parked across the road.” I said. She leaned over and looked out the window, then frowned.

“I don’t see a limo.” She said, confused. I looked out the window and it was gone.

“Odd. I swear I saw a limo only moments ago.” I said, confused. But for a different reason.

“It must have driven away quickly.” Zoe says. I nodded; it must have. But I couldn’t shake the feeling that something odd was going on here, and it had something to do with the killer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - -- -

More unusual things started to happen. The limo became a regular sight, always parking across the road every two days. Whenever I would point it out to Zoe or her parents, the car would always be gone by the time they got to the window. They must have thought I was crazy or something.

Then, the phone calls began. I kept receiving weird phone calls on my mobile phone. Whenever the phone would ring, I would pick it up and all I could hear on the other end of the phone was weird beeping noises, then a long droning noise before it hung up. These phone calls would keep coming perhaps twice a day. And they had me puzzled.

One afternoon, Zoe and her parents went out for Zoe’s piano lesson. They were hesitant to leave me by myself, but I told them I would be fine. I felt kind of sick anyway. I looked out the window and saw the limo, as usual, at the same time. It didn’t creep me out as much anymore; I was used to it. But I still didn’t like it.

I heard my ringtone go off, “Bad,” by Michael Jackson. I picked up my phone and saw the number on my screen. It was the same number of the one that called me and played the beeping sounds. I had named it “Beeper” in my contacts list. I answered the phone, expecting to hear beeping but instead, I heard a woman’s voice.

“Don’t hang up.” Said the voice. The woman sounded around her mid-thirties, perhaps late twenties.

“Who is this?” I asked.

“You will find that out later. Firstly, is this Olivia speaking?”

“Yes.” I answered. What did she mean that I will find out later? And how did she at least be able to guess my name?

“Good. I want you to know that I’m not out to harm you, Olivia. Okay? I am here to help you.” She said.

“Well, that’s nice to know. I was scared that you were going to strangle me through the phone.” I said sarcastically. She gave a slight laugh.