Chapter 4 - Hard at Work

You would think that I would be excited about becoming an agent. Actually, I wasn’t. Apart from the guns; they were pretty cool. You see those little kids that come out of a spy movie in the movie theatre, running and pointing their fingers like a gun, shouting, “Look mummy, I am a spy!” always dreaming of becoming a secret agent.

I was never one of those kids. I was more of a sporty kid. Luckily, because I always played lots of sport on a regular basis, I was quite fit. This was ideal for physical training to become a secret agent. Yes, I had to train.

We pulled up at the secret agent centre thingy. Penny told me to call it the “headquarters.” When I saw the building, I was amazed. Although oh the outside it was only one floor, it still looked like those secret agent buildings that you see in movies. Joules drove us to an underground parking lot where there were many other limousines. I took my bags out of the car and Penny and Ben led me to this elevator. However, before they could access the lift, they had to scan some sort of card.

I thought that this elevator would go up, even though I knew there was only one floor, but it went down.

“Is this building all underground?” I asked.

“Of course. It is secret, isn’t it?” Ben asked sarcastically while smiling. Smart ass.

The lift went down 1…2…3…4…5 floors until it stopped. Ben and Penny led me out of the lift and into this hallway. Penny scanned her card and the door to one of the rooms opened. It was a bedroom.

“This is your room. Just dump your bags here and then follow me,” directed Penny. I dumped my bags, and the door slid behind me. Penny and Ben went back to the elevator and we went down two more floors. The whole floor looked like an office of some sort. There were people on computers and on phones, sitting at desks, everywhere. Ben knocked on a door and it opened almost immediately. Penny urged me inside and I sat on a leather chair. The room was decorated to office attire. Sitting behind the large wooden desk was an oldish man, perhaps around his mid – fifties. He had his arms folded on top of his desk.

“I can only assume, Olivia, that Agent 7 and Agent 12 has informed you of the situation on our hands and of your mission, am I correct?” he asked. I nodded.

“Yes, Mr….” I began. He had not old me what his name was.

“Mr Mason,” he said. “And you understand when we say that you cannot tell anyone? That you must stay undercover at all costs and try not to give anyone and suspicions that you are working as a secret agent?” he asked.

“Yes, sir.” I replied.

“Good, very good. Ben will take you now to get your card,” he said. I followed Ben out of the room and he took me to the woman at the front desk.

“Card for Olivia Poole?” he asked the woman. She nodded and ducked down looking through files of some sort.

“Ben, how do you know my last name? And how did you guys all know that I would take up the offer?” I asked. He just smiled.

“Sometimes, Olivia, you must not ask questions that you don’t want to know the answer to,” he said.

“Why wouldn’t I want to-“

“Here’s your card,” he said, interrupting me. He also handed me a schedule of some sort, a map, and a list of the floors and what was on them.

“Goodnight, Olivia, and don’t forget to come to training tomorrow,” Ben said. He walked away, and where to, I had no clue. Haha…that rhymed. I looked down at my card and it already had a picture of me. How did they get it? Actually, I don’t want to know. I looked down at what was written on it.