c h a p t e r s e v e n

"Are you going to be good for the doctor?" I asked Mila as I pushed her stroller into the elevator. She sucked on her pacifier and looked up at me. I smiled before going to the third floor.

"So How was it?" Justin asked as I drove back home. "Good, she's becoming a chunky monkey and she's meeting every milestone." I smiled. I heard him chuckle. "That's great. I think she got that from you." He joked. I gasped.

"I'm going to smack you when I see you." I smiled. "Well I better not come home then." He responded. "I'll see you this evening, I love you." "I love you more." I replied before hanging up.

As soon as Justin walked into the house, Marlowe ran over to give him a hug. I watched them as he picked her up and through her over his shoulder. She squealed as he gently tossed her onto the couch. "How was school?" He asked her. "Good." She smiled when he sat beside her.

"How was work?" I asked him. He nodded and motioned to Mila. "Nervous about tomorrow?" I bit my lip and nodded. "A little. We'll see if it's just a loss of hearing or total deafness." He nodded and I looked down as she was staring up at us. "Well aren't you alert?" I kissed her forehead.

Her tiny lips curled up into a smile and I gasped. "Did you see that?" I looked at Justin. He smiled and nodded. "You smile just like your mama." He pecked my lips. I smiled and kissed his forehead.
•••

I watched Justin get Mila's stroller out as I waited with her. I attached her car seat to her stroller before going inside the hospital. We went up to the third floor and went inside the audiologist's office.