c h a p t e r f o u r t e e n

•Three Months Later•

Justin held my hand as we waited for the audiologist to come in. Today's the day that Mila gets her brand new hearing aids. This has been something that we've been waiting on since her three month test. I looked over at her in her stroller as she just chewed on her teether that was in there with her.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I heard Justin ask. In a matter of moments, she's going to be able to hear." I looked at him. He smiled. "I know." He squeezed my hand as the doctor came in. "Hello Ms. Hull, Mr. Andrews." He said and shook our hands. "Hi Dr. Manning." I said as he sat down.

"So Mila is getting her hearing aids fitted?" He asked and I nodded. "Alright, is she all ready?" He clapped his hands together. I watched as Justin unbuckled her from her car seat. She sat on his lap and played with his fingers as Dr. Manning placed each hearing aid into her ears. She tried to take them off before he turned them on.

As soon as they turned on, her hands went down and she looked around. "Can you hear baby?" Justin asked and she looked up at him with her eyes wide. "Hi princess." He cooed and kissed her forehead. She smiled and hit her hands against her legs.

"Mila." I said and she turned to look at me. "Hi baby, it's mama." I smiled. She reached out for me and I grabbed her. "You can hear like your sissy." She just stared as I talked; even though she can't speak, I can tell that her brain is working on processing each word that we say. I felt a tear stream down my face as I wiped it away. I gave Mila another kiss before holding her close.