* t w o *

"Tanjiro!"

A demon with talons the length of swords shot through the trees towards the boy. You kicked the demon you were fighting in the face, your (f/c) robe fluttering around you. Tanjiro whirled and parried the new demon's claws with his sword just barely.

At the moment, the two of you were locked in heated combat with three demons.

A purple-haired one dashed towards you, jaws wide open, teeth flashing, drooling at the sight of your flesh. As soon as he got in range, you sliced and severed his bottom jaw from the rest of his head. The demon reeled back, screaming in agony -- as best he could, anyway, without half his mouth and his tongue.

Now's my chance-!

You pushed hard on your back foot and leapt, with your elbow drawn back in preparation.

There was a sharp intake of breath.

"Breath of Snow, Fourth Form:

Arctic Slash."

In one swift, cohesive motion, you swung your Nichirin Sword horizontal to the ground and lopped off the demon's head. With its head isolated from the rest of its body, all it could do was wriggle and flail about helplessly as it waited to dissolve.

Eww, you thought, watching the headless demon squirm on the ground.

"Breath of Water, First Style:

Water Surface Slice!"

Alarmed, you turned back to Tanjiro as his sword cut through the other demon's neck.

The phrase Water Surface Slice was a familiar one. Your own mother had used it, after all, and you had fawned over her stunning swordsmanship skills. You thought back to the aged blue robe that sat in the corner of her room, gathering dust with each day.

"You really are Urokodaki's pupil," you said, with a trace of disbelief.

Tanjiro straightened up, flicking his sword at the ground to get some of the demon blood off. "You know my master?" he asked, confirming your suspicions.

In your conversation, the third demon almost slipped your mind.

"WHAT, DID YOU FORGET ABOUT ME, TOO?!" it screeched, garnering your attention immediately. "I'M TELLING YOU, I'M NOT A SIDE CHARACTER!"

The demon sounded genuinely hurt.

It would've been funnier, had he not been trying to maul Tanjiro's face off.

Tanjiro ducked right as the demon tried to grab him and retaliated with a brutal diagonal cut. The sword struck deep into the demon's pale chest and stomach area, spilling its guts to the dirt below. In a heartbeat, the demon attempted his attack once more, only to be thwarted again by Tanjiro's evasion. "You're persistent, aren't you?" Tanjiro spat, slashing and barely missing the neck by a couple inches.

For a small fry like this, you thought, I won't be needing any breathing technique.

"Step aside."

Upon hearing you, Tanjiro recovered and dove to the left as you burst forward with great momentum.

It took little effort to sever the demon's head from its body.