* t h i r t y *

Author's Note:

I am deeply sorry for not getting this out to you sooner, and for not making an announcement about my situation.

I actually strained my hand playing volleyball and I am being very careful with my typing on both phone and computer.

It's getting better though, so I can jump back into it! I have many ideas for the future and am super excited about implementing them!

So without further ado, enjoy :)

• • * • • * • • * • •

"GET

AWAY

FROM MY FAMILY!"

The fist of the horrendous monster crashed into the stream, breaking the ground beneath it. Rubble and water flew everywhere; you quickly covered your face with your arm to keep any from getting in your eyes, jumping back to avoid the blow.

"You've got a bad skin condition!" you shouted over the noise, referring to the lines of dots that ran along his bare arms. In the small window of time you had before its next attack, you retreated to the nearest secure foothold: a stone protruding through the surface of the water. "Shouldn't you get that checked out?"

What an odd feeling it was, for you to try and be witty in such a situation. It hadn't occurred much since the time before you met Tanjiro, when you had nothing to lose, and... few qualms about dying. But now, things were different.

You had people worth protecting and living for again. You could no longer afford to die.

...How strange...

The demon did not care for this revelation and roared in response. He was not amused.

Full-Focused Breathing.

With a grunt of effort, you jumped high up. As if to swat a fly, the back of the demon's large and came rushing at you, but you managed to avoid it by pushing off of it with the flat side of your blade. This gave you the little momentum you needed in order to close the gap.

I'll go for his arms first—!

Flipping the hilt of your scimitar into another position, you braced yourself and stretched your arms above your head.

"Breath of Snow, Fourth Form:

Arctic Slash."

With the blade headed straight for the right shoulder, you tucked your core, allowing for a strengthened swing and the acceleration of your upper body. Water vapor crackled loudly, condensed into molecules of solid ice around the steel of your weapon.

However, neither the speed you'd prided nor the strength you thought you'd attained were enough to sever the demon's arm. Midway through, the blade hit bone with a thunk and stopped. The ice broke without hesitation.

Damn. Definitely the toughest one we've faced yet...

Unable to wrench your blade from the demon's body without a foothold, you hung in the air for a second or two, legs kicking. He tried shaking you from his shoulder, but to no avail; the scimitar was now lodged deeply into his shoulder, running parallel to the ground. Another punch came, but you swung back on your sword to avoid it. You then changed your hand positions so they clung onto the hilt directly side to side. And as the demon continued to violently toss his body around, you went along with it. You were dangling, swinging back and forth,