* s i x t e e n *

"The blood," Tanjiro panted while you struggled to regain your breath.

"We need it... to make Nezuko's medicine..."

But the demon's body had already disintegrated into a million ashes, her flakes of ghostly pale skin peeling away with the wind.

You clutched your side. The rib cage was bruised, albeit (and thankfully) not too much. Tamayo's pain-relieving ointment was already starting to wear off of your left hand, and your limbs and back ached terribly. "Let's go," you managed coarsely, nodding your head in the direction of Muzan's other minion. Nezuko had drawn him out from his hiding place in the leaves.

She lunged for him; a red arrow materialized through her middle, pointing in the direction of the house.

"Nezuko!" shouted her brother. Her body was swept away in the blink of an eye, right past Tamayo and Yushiro who had stepped foot outside. The entire side of the house caved in as Nezuko plummeted into the walls, breaking through two or three of them before finally coming to a stop. Tanjiro whirled, planting a step back in her direction, but then halted just as suddenly.

"Go to her," you told him, and his eyebrows furrowed even further. He was obviously worried for his sister, demon or not.

He stared at you, eyes full of hesitation. "But then you'll-"

His words were interrupted as Tamayo stepped up. She placed a hand above her heart.

"I'll attend to her," she said. "My Blood Demon Techniques are harmful to humans, and anyway, I do not have the strength to use and control them properly at this time. Yushiro will stay here and lend assistance when he recovers."

The boy did not seem all too happy with this and spoke out against her will. "Lady Tamayo, I refuse to leave your side! If something were to happen to you, I'd... I couldn't..!" She silenced him with a stern glare -- it somewhat reminded you of your own. "I will be fine," she announced with confidence, and went swiftly off to the ruins of her home.

Yushiro made a 'tch!' noise and turned back.

The demon with the eyes on his hands tilted his head in annoyance. "Finally done your useless arguing?" he said blandly. Strangely, he had awaited the end of your squabbling with patience, though he could've easily taken the opportunity to attack.

He does not seem all too fazed by the fact I beheaded his comrade before him...

You met his gaze with as much fierceness as he had nonchalance. The eyes on his hands did not blink nor waver at your challenge.

Is he just that confident, or is he resting? He could have a trick up his sleeve, so we must take care...

Your spine twinged painfully, and you cursed it. Even the simplest of tasks, such as standing, would tire you out -- you had to end things soon. And with that, it hit you that this demon had no urgency to beat you. Your and Tanjiro's wounded bodies would not adjust well to a lasting fight, and your enemy understood that.

Your clenched your jaws. So he thought he'd already won, is that it?

"Don't underestimate humans," was your snarl, and you streaked forward with blood ablaze with adrenaline, each step carrying you in a straight line towards the demon. He gave a small, uninterested sigh in response.

"What a dirty little tramp of a child," he remarked coldly, raising his hand in front of him. The bulging eye on it twitched and closed. "Don't come near me."

The next instant you placed your foot on the ground, an arrow shot upwards from beneath you; you tried cutting it, but the arrow only altered the direction of your Nichirin Sword. A violent force launched you high into the air, and the blur of your surroundings failed to grow clearer. At the peak of your trajectory, your body seemed to hang suspended in the air for a second before the wind started to rush in your ears once again. The drop had begun, and gravity definitely wasn't helping your situation.