* t h i r t y - o n e *

Please drop a like on my chapters!

It helps with the Wattpad algorithm and gets me motivated! (the like:view ratio is something like 1:30 and it's making me sad LOL)

If you're enjoying the story, go ahead and don't be shy! It makes me super happy, and I feel more rewarded for my efforts.

I honestly don't intend to sound shallow or beg for likes, it just really helps me keep writing ackk

Love you always! <3

~ delphinium ~

• • * • • * • • * • •

Tanjiro stood. You followed.

The separation anxiety both of you had felt promptly fled your systems, leaving a newer, invigorating strength in its wake.

...Who knew the presence of one single person could mean so much.

As much as you didn't like to admit it, and as much as you hated your weakness and dependency, nothing could change the truth. It was just the nature of things.

"I was worried about you," you told him, swiping a trickle of blood from off your chin. Warily, the boy glanced back at you. "But in the end, I was the one who ended up getting their ass kicked."

Before the spider demon could attack, before you or Tanjiro could even make a move, a wild boar man hurtled onto the scene, embedding the jagged edges of his dual Nichirin Swords into the side of the demon's large calf.

"GO AHEAD AND GAWK WHILE I TAKE THIS THING DOWN!" Inosuke cackled. "BY THE TIME YOU'RE DONE TALKING, I'LL HAVE-"

Unfortunately, the swordsman was unable to finish his sentence and was instead shoved violently into the water. You sighed.

To your surprise, Tanjiro spoke up.

"I'm just glad you're safe."

And with that, he tightened his grip on his sword and jumped back into the fray. You remained there to catch your breath.

"...Me too."

With the effects of your First Form, you covered your right ankle -- which was likely sprained, at the very least -- in a smooth layer of ice. It hurt to move, but what other choice did you have?

C'mon, (Y/n). Fight.

But observing the situation came first. Inosuke, in his brashness, was locked in heated close combat. Their movements were too chaotic and fast for you to correctly adjust yourself. And you realized that Tanjiro must've thought the same, for he strayed off to the side of the river. He begun to swing at the trunk of a tall tree.

"What an odd plan," you muttered to yourself, though you held no doubt that he wouldn't be able to execute it.

"Breath of Snow, Second Form:

Crystalline Thorns."

Your scimitar grew heavier as the nine icicles solidified on the steel, and you winced. The slightest addition of weight to your weapon gave more strain to your already torn muscles.

As you watched the fight unfold, you noticed a break in Inosuke's pattern. For a moment he would back off to gather himself before unleashing another onslaught.

Three.

Two.

One.

You struck your sword out into the empty air as to let the thorns detach themselves, swiftly making their way towards the spider demon's body in a line. Though his skin proved impenetrable, the same could not be said about his eyes; thanks to your expert marksmanship, an icicle plunged into one as blood spewed around the edges.