* p r o l o g u e *

"Mama."

You tugged on the sleeve of her red and white kimono, revealing the scars and callouses on her wrist and hand.

She had just finished telling you a story from her 'olden days' --

Days from back when she was still a Demon Slayer.

"Why did you quit?" you asked with wide eyes.

She rubbed the top of your head tenderly.

"I was too big of a dreamer," was her reply.

She wasn't exactly sad, more like... wistful.

"I thought big dreams were good?"

Unexpectedly, she laughed, a sound like chiming bells, and lifted you up in her strong and affectionate arms.

You loved it when she did that.

"Being a Pillar was a dream that soared far beyond my reach, little one," she said.

"But for you, big dreams are good. Because I know that you will work terribly hard, no matter what challenge you face. Wherever you go, whatever you do, you will always succeed."

With each word that passed her lips, your smile grew wider and wider.

"The Pillars..." you mumbled. "Are they really so amazing that you can't be one of them?"

Another laugh.

"Yes, my darling (Y/n). There are many amazing people in this world. Maybe you'll meet one of them someday, that is..." She trailed off a little, and you tilted your head to the side. She placed you on the ground.

"That is-?" you prompted.

"...If you still want to be like me, a Demon Slayer?"

You frowned.

This again?

"Mama, we've been over this," you sighed, and she chuckled.

"My heart has decided that I will be a soldier for the people. Plus, you and Papa already said you would teach me how to be badass!"

*Gasp*

"(Y/n)!"

"...What?"

"Whoever taught you that word?"

You grinned.

"I can't tell you, Mama. Snitches get stitches."

She stood there for a solid minute, shocked by this turn of events. Then, she burst into laughter, and you followed suit.

(You ended up apologizing and promising to never say that word again).

"Anyways, Mama!" you continued, gleefully grabbing her arms and shaking them up and down.

"I'll read through those sword technique books that you and Papa wrote up. I'll train and train and train... until I can defeat all those bad demons, and save everyone I can!"

Your mother smiled.

There was something... eerie about it, though.

"You'll save everyone, you say..?"

With eyes bright and cheeks flushed, you nodded.

"Is that so..."

"............Mama?"

She was still smiling as she stooped low to embrace you.

Confused, you hugged back.

"Mama, what's-"

"Liar."

You froze.

The next you spoke, your voice was deeper, older.

"Mother. I- I didn't-"

"Save your breath."

You flinched. Your mother's arms tightened around you.

You were suffocating in her grasp.

"You'll 'save everyone?' How amusing."

In a heartbeat, footsteps sounded in front of you, multiplying by the second.

A crowd -- men, women, and children alike -- gathered in a line behind your mother's back. You could spot your own father among them.

Your mother pulled back, held you by your shoulders before her.

Her (e/c) eyes were the same hue as yours, but more intense, and void of light.

"You said you'd save 'everyone,' and yet look where we are, (Y/n)."

Gravestones erupted from the ground at their feet, one by one, at least a hundred.

Your heart was pounding furiously in your ears.

"Don't ever, ever forget us. After all-"

Your wiltering corpse of a mother ignited at her fingertips, at the tips of her hair, from the soles of her feet, burning away until naught was left

but ashes in the wind.

"We'll never forget you."

• • * • • * • • * • •

Started:

August 29th, 2019