* e i g h t *

You held out the Demon Slayer uniform in front of you. "This won't do..." you muttered, holding out the long sleeve.

With one clean stroke, you severed the left sleeve from the rest of the uniform.

"Bu... but... The material is special! It's resistant against moisture and fire, and won't be torn by the claws or teeth of weaker demons." Tanjiro stared at the sleeve that plopped on the ground. You shrugged. "I need my shoulder exposed." You gestured to the burn scar that covered the edge of your shoulder. "The ice needs to come in direct contact... Besides, those weaker demons won't even touch me."

After the both of you changed into your uniforms and packed what you needed, it was time to go.

Nezuko shrunk and crawled into the box Urokodaki constructed for her. The wood was special, he had said, and called 'mist cloud fir' wood because of its virtually weightless nature.

Tanjiro picked up the box and slid on the straps. "We're going, then," he announced to Urokodaki.

The aged man nodded and stood by the front door.

"Take care."

You smiled and waved.

He looked sad. He was all alone again.

With you, you took his cherished company that had spent two long years with him.

Sorry.

At least he didn't shed any tears.

Goodbye, you who taught my mother.

• • * • • * • • * • •

The walk to the northwestern town ended up being about a day's trip.

While walking through the streets, you passed by a haggard looking young man. He looked about eighteen, nineteen? Yet he had bags under his eyes from lack of sleep, and his skin was bruised by his cheek and next to his eye.

"Kazumi looks devastated..." whispered a passing woman. "He was right beside Satoko when she was taken."

You stopped walking. Your search was off to a good start.

Bingo.

"It's so unsettling that this happens every night."

"Always, after nightfall, young girls are abducted..."

A quick look at Tanjiro was enough to ensure you were on the same page -- both of you turned to catch up to the gossiped male.

"Kazumi!" Tanjiro called out, and the boy jumped a little.

"We'd like to make inquiries on the specifics of the situation," was your brief statement. "May we?"

He looked frightened, wary. It was only to be expected, though; the poor lad looked thoroughly traumatized. The injuries on his face looked too, well, passive to have come from a demon. And they were bruises, rather than claw or bite marks, leading you to believe they were inflicted by humans...

Despite this, he nodded softly

He is pitiful...

The boy cautiously lead the two of you through the wide, dusty roads. It was eerily peaceful. The orange hue of the sky at sunset was swiftly changing to dark blues and violets. Night would come soon. As soon as this boy gave you the info you needed, you'd send him back to his home. Roaming the town at night whilst a demon lurked would be dangerous for a mere civilian.