* s e v e n *

You didn't tell him about what transpired during the Hellfire.

That memory was too much for you to handle, too painful for you to relive.

You only allowed yourself to cry in his arms for seven minutes. Even then, seven minutes was far too long a time to be showing such weakness.

After you calmed down and cleaned yourself up, you steeled your resolve.

Never again.

You could never get your family back, despite how desperately you wished for it.

There was no point in dwelling on your halcyon days.

You thought you had understood that, but it seemed you were mistaken.

Look to the future. While there's no family there, you'll find revenge on the one who took yours away.

Then,

maybe the voices of the dead would stop haunting you.

• • * • • * • • * • •

You and Tanjiro walked back in a comfortable silence. No words needed to be exchanged between the two of you. The air was still, calming.

Your feet stopped themselves at the cabin door -- Tanjiro said Urokodaki and Nezuko were waiting for you inside. Surprised at your halt, Tanjiro asked, "(Y/n)?" You turned to him. He looked a little lost.

You hated showing weakness, but at that moment,

You needed to.

You hated dropping your guard,

But he let you. He made you want to.

And in the end, removing the facade you always wore, removing those surrounding illusions of armor... it was refreshing. Invigorating. Your resolve was renewed, and your mind clear. The single path you were to take was evident.

So you said,

"Thank you."

But your crying and his comfort were also reminders of how weak you still were, despite years and years of lonely nights and regrets.

It will never happen again.

Tanjiro smiled.

"You're strong, (Y/n). And brave. You just needed a break from all of it."

Well, it'd be the only break you'd get.

You didn't tell that to him, of course, since you didn't want to sound ungrateful. But it was foolish to believe that you'd allow yourself to break down like that again, when time was better spent accomplishing other things -- namely, getting stronger, both physically and mentally.

You smiled back at him anyway and opened the cabin door.

The living room was empty, with neither Tanjiro's teacher or his sister present. A small fire burned in the center of the room, emitting a soft glow that flickered on the wooden walls. It was fairly dark, and atmospheric.

"Nezuko?" Tanjiro called out as he stepped into the room after you. "Urokodaki-sensei?"

You heard footsteps coming from another room, and Urokodaki's mask peeked out the doorway. "We're in here," the former Pillar said. "Nezuko was about to go to sleep."