* t h i r t y - s i x *

Don't cry. Don't cry from something so stupid.

But it was hard.

Despite all the adrenaline that ran through your veins, the agony made you want to kick and scream like a child. The wounds weren't going numb as you'd hoped; rather, they became more sensitive as time ticked by. Even the wind brushing past your open wounds felt like daggers under your skin.

Moreover, you were so exhausted...

"You did a good job holding out until I got here."

The Demon Slayer who'd saved you was calm, collected. His dark eyes betrayed no fury -- the control he had over his body told you he was efficient, and quite skilled.

...If being collapsed on the ground, nearly cut into pieces, is your idea of a good job, then, yeah. I suppose we did.

Of course, you didn't say that. Not that you even had the energy to.

"Leave the rest to me," he said, stepping between you and Tanjiro and the demon.

You heard something in Rui snap even further.

"You're like an endless stream of lowlifes, always getting in my way!"

Hundreds of gleaming, ruby threads materialized like a curved barrier in front of him. They closed in until the only way you could see him was through a small hole in the woven wall.

"Blood Demon Art: Cutting Thread Rotation!"

He splayed his hands out. Instantly the threads obeyed, stretching, moving, expanding, with the intent to pierce and slice the swordsman within the span of one second.

"Full-Focused Breathing."

Though his back was towards you, it didn't stop you from watching the change in his positioning. But something was off. He used Water Breathing techniques, and yet... this stance was unfamiliar.

I know all of the Water Breathing techniques, thanks to my mother, but what is this?

He lowered his Nichirin Sword, touching the point to the barren earth.

"Breath of Water, Eleventh Form:

Dead Calm."

You felt your pulse quicken.

Tanjiro said your thoughts aloud. "Eleventh Form?!" He had created his own.

As the tight net of threads rushed towards him, the cloth of his haori rustled the slightest bit as he picked the edge of his blade up off the ground.

You blinked,

and the threads were gone.

His weapon had returned to its former position -- as if it hadn't moved at all. Its user was untouched.

The revelation of the Eleventh Form took Rui by surprise. It was obvious he hadn't expected such an outcome. The strongest threads in his possession were scattered, cleared away into mere whispers of their former selves.

An agitated growl rose up in his throat.

"That's impossible. One more time--!"

Though, he was never given a chance.

The Demon Slayer stepped forward and struck with his sword, lopping Rui's head off with almost no effort. He swung his blade again to rid it of blood and sheathed it.

He didn't even look back.

"(Y/n)," Tanjiro croaked. "We're okay, so... you can get up now."

You gave a little, humorless laugh, which hurt your cracked ribs. Your vision darkened terribly as you tried to move off him but somehow you managed to do so without passing out. You knelt there, panting, still in awe of the swordsman in front of you.