2.8

The GCPD is a very busy, noisy place, Daisy notes wide-eyed as she sits cuffed to a table up on the balcony area. Detective Jim frowned in apology when he did it, explaining that while she wasn't under arrest, she is still a potential subject and person of interest in Jerome Valeska's case. Daisy still doesn't even know who that is. All she knows is that she's waiting here for Jim to come back with their doctor, who apparently knows ASL, so that they can question her.

She tried to explain to the officer that she doesn't know actual ASL, just the alphabet, but since he knows nothing of sign language, he still didn't get the message. Daisy huffs, knowing that this whole enterprise is useless, since she can't even use ASL properly, not to mention the fact that she has nothing to do with this Jerome Valeska guy they're so interested in.

Soon enough, after Daisy has spent some time observing the flurry of activity, Jim returns with a woman in a lab coat.

"Hi there," the woman greets warmly. "I'm Dr. Lee Thompkins, the Medical Examiner here, but you can just call me Lee."

When all Daisy does is smile in response, Lee's expression drops. "You can hear me, right? Jim seemed to think you could, but if you're deaf that's okay, too."

Daisy nods, slowly spelling as best she can, I can hear you.

Lee's eyebrows furrow at the response, but after a moment she seems to have decoded what Daisy is trying to say. "Do you not know ASL?"

The girl shakes her head, trying to reply, Only the alphabet.

The broken spelling takes Lee by surprise, and it takes her a bit longer to figure that one out. "Well, that's okay, I guess. Maybe you can just write your responses down."

More embarrassed now, Daisy shakes her head no again.

"You don't know how to write? How to read?" Lee asks in confusion, and Jim sighs in exasperation.

"How do you possibly expect us to believe that you can't read or write? I mean, I don't know your age for sure, but you have to be at least 16. They teach reading and writing as early as first grade," the man scowls.

Daisy sniffles, and a tear falls from her eye. She feels humiliated by a man she's barely met.

"Jim!" Lee scolds. "I think you'd better walk away and let me handle this. You are being ignorant and insensitive. Do you know how many Narrows kids have never been to school? You don't know this girl's background. She could have been through a million things you or I wouldn't understand. If you can't keep your mouth shut, then go."

"Lee, I wasn't trying to—" Jim's justification is cut off by his girlfriend's searing glare. "Alright, I'll be quiet and nice."

The man reluctantly moves a bit away and sits down in a chair, trying not to be as intimidating and inconsiderate.

"I'm sorry about him," Lee says softly. "He's a good man, but sometimes he finds it hard to believe the state parts of the city are in when he's trying so hard to believe he's making a big difference."

Daisy smiles slightly in acceptance of Lee's words. The woman is kind, and clearly she and Jim have some sort of connection or relationship.

"So, let me get this straight, all right? You can hear, but not talk. You can spell things in sign language, kind of, and perhaps write with as much clarity. Have you always been mute, or did you have some sort of injury that caused you to damage or lose your vocal cords?" Leslie asks her.

Always, Daisy signs in response.

"Well, in that case, maybe there's the possibility that your condition can be helped. The best thing would be to take you to see a professional and see if there's anything we can do. Otherwise, you're kind of useless as a witness or suspect if you can't explain your involvement."

"Now, hold on, Lee. I agree that what I said was stepping over the line, but I think you're crossing it now, too. This girl could be a criminal accomplice to Jerome Valeska. You know, the ginger psychopath we've all been trying to hunt down all week? He and the other Maniax have already killed at least seven men in the time since their escape, and you expect me to allow you to take a potential suspect for a checkup?" Jim demands.

While he and Lee argue over taking her to see a doctor, Daisy contemplates Jim's words. Jerome Valeska has red hair? That's so weird, because Daddy is a redhead too...

Her eyes widen at her train of thought. There's no way Daddy and Jerome are the same person. My daddy is the nicest man I've ever met.

But isn't it weird that Pepper "died" right after you met him? A darker part of her subconscious asks.

What do you mean "died"? I have no reason to believe Daddy would lie to me about that, and besides, he had her necklace.

Maybe he stole it from her, the voice suggests. Or maybe he's the one that killed her.

It seems that Lee and Jim have finished squabbling, and as usual, the doctor has come out on top. She smiles down at the girl, whose name they don't even know, but notices her horrified expression.

"What's wrong?" She asks Daisy. The girl chews her lip. If I see a picture, I'll know. I can stop freaking out about it.

Can I see a picture of him? Daisy signs to the doctor slowly.

"She wants to see a picture of Jerome, to see if she knows him," Lee relays to Jim.

Eyebrows raised, Jim grabs Jerome's case file. "You don't know what Jerome Valeska looks like? Who he is?"

Daisy shakes her head, mouth dry. She's terrified at what she may see.

"Jerome Valeska is an escaped Arkham convict. He was arrested for murdering his mother. He was broken out by an unknown, who also freed five other violent inmates. They recently killed seven men, calling themselves "The Maniax". We got an anonymous tip that Jerome was hiding out in the cottage we found you in," Jim explains as he meanders back, remaining standing in front of her for a moment. "You haven't seen all this on the news?"

After hearing all that, Daisy's vision starts to blur. It's such a huge coincidence, if it is one. But maybe someone just saw her daddy's red hair and mistook him for Jerome?

I was homeless, Daisy replies.

"She says she was homeless. Which could explain her lack of education," Lee translates.

Daisy nods in confirmation, adding, Orphan.

"She says she's an orphan," Lee says quietly. "And how old are you?"

Daisy shows her age with her hands, flashing both before replacing them with one open hand and a peace sign. Then she drops one, using the other one to lay parallel to the floor, and wiggling it. Seventeen, more or less.

"She says she's about seventeen, give or take," Lee tells Jim when he appears confused.

"And your name?" Detective Gordon asks.

Daisy, she signs.

"She says her name is Daisy," Lee replies.

"Alright, Daisy. I'm sorry, I'm sure this has all been very confusing for you. Maybe you know Jerome without knowing you know him? Either way, I think your idea was a good one," Jim apologizes, reaching into the case file to pull out Jerome's mug shot. "Here's a picture of Jerome Valeska. Please tell me if you recognize him."

The detective lays the picture down on the table in front of her, and Daisy chokes, tears instantly welling and falling unchecked. She's in a state of total shock as she recognizes the face staring manically up at her.

Daddy.

—————————————————————
A/N
Apologies for being a bit late—I posted a message last night when I realized I wouldn't be able to get this done. Follow me if you want the latest news on updates, or just check in to my announcements if you're curious as to why there's no update posted yet. If you care for the explanation, you can find it there. Otherwise, I'll allow you guys to sit with Daisy and try to fathom this bombshell. Let me know your thoughts by voting and commenting please! Love you guys!
Gingy