3.4

The drive back to the cottage has never seemed so long, despite Jerome's terrible speeding. The teen was in such a hurry to leave Galavan's, mind locked only on his desperation to check on Daisy, that he missed the knowing smirk on the billionaire's face as he made his excuses and dipped out. He barely remembered to grab the correct car in his frantic haste.

Jerome's brain feels numb and empty, focused only on traversing the path ahead, blurring all other thoughts like the images outside the car's windows. The dull roar of the vehicle's engine is blocked out by the ringing in his ears. The man has never felt such dread in his gut—not when his mother would come at him drunk (or her latest conquest would) and certainly not when he killed her.

Immediately upon pulling up within viewing distance of the cabin, Jerome knows that something is wrong. His greatest fears seem to solidify at seeing the front door wide open. He manages to stumble out of the car, staggering to the open door in what feels like slow motion. The daisy that resided under the tiger lily was crushed in the commotion, as were many other wildflowers around the cottage.

In shock, Jerome nudges the door further open, broken hinges squealing in protest. The many tire tracks around the house as well as the busted door only confirm his suspicions of the GCPD's involvement. There's no sign of a struggle, aside from the askew blankets, but that also makes sense because Daisy wouldn't think to resist the police since she's done no wrong and doesn't know about him or his own wrongdoings.

Panting, Jerome darts through the house, desperately hoping that maybe Daisy is hiding somewhere, but all he finds are the weapons he's stashed for emergencies and also used to kill creatures in the woods to alleviate his bloodlust around Daisy.

Finally Jerome admits defeat and slumps against the wall, sliding down it. Leaning forward, he runs his fingers through his hair and tugs, making it stand up straight messily.

They fucking took her from me. It's all over now. She's gone.

Fuck that shit. She's yours. And if the pigs really think they can take what's yours, then I guess you better show them who's the boss in this town.

Even if I did get her back, what if they told her who I am? It won't be the same.

But she makes you feel better—you need her. And she needs you too. What if she freaks out again and you're not there to help? What if they're hurting her or punishing her because she's with you? You need to save her!

If the cops have laid a hand on her I'll—

That's more like it. Now get your ass up and make a plan.

Greatly restored (and angered), Jerome rises to his feet and assesses the situation again. Realizing that the cops could be watching the house for him to show up spurs him into action, collecting all of the things he considers necessities and throwing them in the car. Soon, the non-perishables as well as his and Daisy's personal stuff are out of the house and in the car.

When he leaves the house, he checks repeatedly as he drives to make sure he's not being followed. On the way to his hideout, he stops at the grocery store and stocks up on food and toiletries that he thinks he and Daisy will need once they get to the bunker to lay low.

By the time he leaves the hideout later and ditches the car further away, Jerome is sure that he and Daisy will be prepared to hide away together for at least six months while everything cools down. Then they can move on to somewhere else far away and restart their lives together.

The boy honestly believes that if he sticks it out with Daisy, he won't feel the need to kill anymore. She has already been making the urges fade away to the deepest recesses of his mind with her blatant and unrelenting admiration of him, and the sense of love and security he gets from providing for her and protecting her fulfills him in a different and more completing way. What began as a means to eradicate his sympathy only increased it, but it's dependent on her.

Without Daisy by his side to temper his bloodlust and allow him to channel his emotions to more positive feelings, Jerome is left more chaotic and bloodthirsty than ever. He wants revenge on the GCPD, on Gotham, for all that they've done to him and all that they've taken from him.

And if he loses Daisy's admiration in the process? He brought her around once, he can do it again, especially when they're alone together for months on end. It'll give him something to focus on during that time and further develop his protective and guiding skills.

What's better is that he has the perfect avenue with which to take back his flower. Jerome is sure that Theo will go for an attack on the GCPD as a last publicity stunt before the big finale. Then that way the man doesn't have to work alone and can let the other Maniax take the fall. He convinces himself that Daisy needs a rescuer, and it has to be him—after all, he got her into this mess, he, her self-proclaimed daddy, should be the one to get the poor girl back out of it.

And maybe, if the truth about his actions has already been spilled, a little more honesty about his past and his feelings will help clear things up. After all, Daisy is a love-starved teen too. Surely she'll understand the pain he's gone through, at least to some extent. If she knows that he wants to stop, but he has to pay back a debt first, maybe she'll see his bigger plan.

All Jerome can really hope for is that she doesn't know about Pepper. If Daisy ever finds that out, it will surely mean the end of their relationship, if not the end of Daisy herself.

But if Theo and Tabby can make bodies disappear as well as they claim he has nothing to worry about, right?

—————————————————————
A/N
Hey guys! Sorry about the no update last week, I totally spaced it with all the stuff I was doing. College is crazy, what can I say? I hope to make it up to you guys with a double update sometime soon when I can actually get my shit together, but who really knows? Enjoy this for now and I'll see you soon!
Gingy