4.3

It feels like Lee has been trapped forever when Jim finally breaks into the cottage and finds her.

"Jim," she breathes in relief at seeing him and finally knowing he is alive and well.

"Lee!" Jim shouts, lowering his gun and dashing over to untie her.

"The Maniax attacked the GCPD. Jerome found Daisy and I and brought us back here. He gathered the rest of his stuff and took Daisy somewhere else," Lee explains hurriedly.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there, Lee. Barbara lured me away. I was so focused on catching her and then Aaron knocked me out," he apologizes as the last of her bindings fall away.

The two embrace for a moment in shared relief, some parts of their fear melting away.

"Daisy—she sacrificed herself for me, Jim. The surgery worked, and she persuaded Jerome to leave me here alive if she went with him," the doctor sobs.

Detective Gordon pulls back to look Lee in the eyes. "I promise you, Lee, we will get her back. But first I need to straighten out the GCPD. There were a lot of casualties, one of which was... Essen," he says with a bit of difficulty.

Lee's features soften some at the name, knowing how much Commissioner Essen meant to Jim. "Of course. Jerome didn't say much about whatever hideout he took Daisy to. He said it was one he had prepared for after he killed his mother."

"That was so long ago it's impossible to say what he may have been thinking of. But maybe the man that helped him cover up the murder would know where this hideout was—Jerome's father. Maybe his father has an idea of who broke them all out or where they are now, as well. We'll check that out once we get everything in order," Jim speculates. "For now, we need to get back. I'll need your help assessing and treating injuries, if that's not too much to ask."

"Of course not," Lee replies. "Let's hurry back, then. I want to get everyone ship-shape and get to work on finding Daisy. I just hope she was right about him."

"Regarding what?" Jim asks.

"Daisy was sure that Jerome wouldn't hurt her, that he really cared about her," she says.

"Jerome is a master manipulator and a psychopath. There's no telling what he'll do at any point in time," the detective rebuts.

"Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the way he was behaving towards her, even when she was not there to hear it, was remarkably compassionate. It was like he was worrying over her like a mother hen," Lee disagrees, shaking her head.

"Let's hope you're both right, then, at least for enough time for us to find Daisy and free her," Jim sighs.

Lee nods, and the pair quickly exit the building and climb into Jim's police cruiser to head back to the GCPD.

The Galavan siblings watch the scene dispassionately through a screen. As the police car begins to pull away, Theo and Tabitha turn to look at each other.

"Jerome and his bitch have caused us nothing but trouble—I think it's about time we take them out. If we're killing Jerome in the end anyway, why not just do it now before they get the chance to fuck us over?" Tabby growls.

"I'm just as irritated as you are, sister, but if we kill Jerome before the script dictates we'll throw off everything. I have to kill one of them at the charity gala to get on Bruce Wayne's good side and to appear heroic for my soon-to-be-announced mayoral campaign," her brother drones in response. "We have only three assets remaining in play if you count Jerome, and only he and Barbara have the charisma to pull off the finale. Aaron can't possibly handle it, even as a sidekick. That leaves Barbara to do it and take the fall if we off Jerome early, and I doubt you want that, do you?"

Tabitha's eyes flick away at the jab, which hits a little close to home. She feels a deeper connection to Barbara that she hasn't experienced before, their relationship already beyond just sex to her.

"Fine, Jerome lives to die later," she grumbles. "But what do we do if he decides to back out of the plan and stay in his new hideout with his pet? His trackers are still not functional and if he's as stocked up as the footage suggests, he won't be out spending with your credit card for us to track, either."

"You have a point there, Tabby, dear, but we can entice him out with the information Detective Gordon has just suggested," Theo chuckles. "Surely the threat of his father blabbing about his hideout, or the simple idea of revenge, at least, will lure him out. Then we only have to keep him with us until the final act, which we can easily manage."

"If daddy dearest is being taken out anyway, why don't we have him get the blame for the Arkham breakout? The cops are still looking for their perp," Tabitha suggests, smirking.

"Yes, brilliant, sister," he agrees. "His father is blind, correct? We can have some incriminating letters forged in Braille and leave them in the apartment when you and Jerome kill the father."

"Hold on, Jerome and I? You're going to send me out alone with that freak?" Tabby demands.

"Of course," her brother smirks. "You're the only one I trust not to let him out of your sight once you have him. I'll text Jerome about the development with his father, tell him to lay low for a week until you two can take him out and incriminate him the day before the final act. The close timing will force him to stay with us."

"All right," she groans. "At least leave me and Barbara alone to do our own things until then."

"Just so long as your... chores get done," Theo nods, smiling.

Tabby returns the grin before leaving the room, Theo pulling out the burner phone to text Jerome.

We have a problem.

—————————————————————
A/N
Sorry it's very late and there's no Jerome and Daisy. This outbreak has really thrown me off because now all my college schooling is online when it is definitely not meant to be online. I'm trying to adjust, as I'm sure many are. Please everyone stay safe and stay at home if you can. I hope you all are as happy and healthy as you are able to be and that I can be here to distract you in these tough times. Love you guys!
Gingy