4.4

The fuck is it now? Jerome curses internally at feeling his pocket vibrate, knowing it's Galavan with something new up his ass.

He finishes up what he's cooking and moves the pan off the burner, turning it off as he turns to look at the blasted phone.

We have a problem.

Jerome rolls his eyes at the dramatics of the eccentric billionaire.

Care to share?

He's just finished plating the food when the phone buzzes with another text. The man sets the two plates on the small table and grabs
silverware before checking.

The police are onto whatever hideout you're in. They are going to talk to your father.

Shit, that really is a problem, Jerome thinks, mind racing. He forgot that stupid Cicero knew about this place. The old man suggested that he lay low somewhere remote until things blew over and they laid out a spot to do it. It seemed fine at the time because Jerome planned to off Cicero anyway, but he was arrested before he got the chance.

The criminal was so caught up in the Maniax, he forgot about his older plans. Leaving his old man alive now, however, could prove costly, especially if the cops are already looking into him.

So, that's troubling. Do you want me to go kill him or did you have something else in mind?

Jerome is so distracted by the brewing issues, he forgets that the food is ready and he should call Daisy to eat.

Actually, yes. Tabitha and I are in the works of getting materials to frame him for the breakout. Lay low for the next week or so. Tabitha and Barbara will keep Jim Gordon and the GCPD busy in the meantime. I'll contact you when it's time to take him out.

He breathes a sigh of relief. Theo is about as shady as they come, but Jerome trusts that the billionaire will cover his own ass. The man knows that if Jerome is caught there's no way he or Daisy would keep their mouths shut about his involvement and his plans.

Texting an affirmative back to Galavan, Jerome turns back to the table. "Dinner's ready, babygirl. Come get it while it's still warm."

Daisy looks up from her coloring at the sound of his voice. Smiling, she sets down her colored pencil and gets up to head to the table.

"It looks good. What is it?" Daisy asks curiously.

"Oh, it's just soup from a can. Bunkering down means that you don't get perishable food. There's different dry and canned goods here that will become our best friends in the near future," Jerome jokes.

Daisy nods and begins to eat, hungry from the day's ordeals. The warm soup does wonders for her sore, overworked throat. The girl realizes that she better take it a lot easier on her new voice if she wants it to last.

"No offense, but I'm going to be talking less. Today is literally the first time I've used my voice and I only recently recovered from surgery," she informs Jerome. "I'm gonna try to take it easier so I don't damage anything."

"None taken, princess. I understand your concerns, and they're well-founded. Besides," he says. "It's not like I'm unused to the silent treatment from you. We'll get by with more yes and no questions."

Daisy smiles, grateful that he is being so considerate of her and her feelings.

"Now," Jerome grins. "Do you like your soup from a can?"

Daisy nods honestly. It was pretty good, and because of her background she's not very picky. There have certainly been worse things (or a lack thereof) that she got by with when money was particularly tight.

The two finish their respective bowls in a comfortable silence.

"Well, it's been a harrowing day for the both of us, so why don't we get some rest?" Jerome suggests. "About the arrangements, do you want the bed to yourself or with myself as a built in space heater?"

Daisy takes a moment to contemplate. Should I really be jumping back into bed with him so soon, after everything that happened?

Jerome takes her indecision as answer enough. "Relax, babygirl. I'll just take the couch tonight; there's no need to push things."

Relieved to not have to make the choice, Daisy nods in agreement. He leads her to the small bedroom area and helps her get settled. She ultimately decides to sleep in her clothes for the night rather than dig through her selection of possible clothes.

She lies down in the bed gingerly, getting a feel for the mattress before settling into her customary sleeping position. Jerome watches her with a wry smile, amused by her antics. Daisy's behavior reminds him of a dog or cat circling or pawing at an area before lying down in it.

When she's finally still, he approaches and loosely tucks her into the covers. "There we go, Flower, nice and comfy. I love you, babygirl. Just holler if you need anything later, okay?" Jerome murmurs soothingly. At Daisy's nod, he kisses her forehead gently and leaves the room, leaving the door cracked behind him.

She lies there content for several minutes, trying to fall asleep before she realizes that something is wrong. Physically, she feels perfectly fine, and she is relatively comfy in her current position. However, the more time that rolls by, the more clear it becomes that Daisy won't be able to fall asleep this way.

The bed feels empty and cold, just the way it has every night Daisy has had to sleep on her own since she was taken from Jerome. The blonde tries to tell herself what she said other nights in order to fall asleep, but they no longer ring true.

Daddy isn't here.

Lie.

He doesn't care about you.

Lie.

You don't need him.

Lie.

Daisy stares at the ceiling, wide awake and frustrated. Meanwhile, the part of her mind that sides with her body is taunting her.

He's so strong and warm.

He's right there in the other room.

You know he'd be willing to help you—he'd love it.

Just call out for him. He'll come.

It's so tempting to consider, but Daisy knows she'll be disappointed in herself if she caves that easily. Determined, she rolls over and eventually falls into a fitful sleep.

—————————————————————
A/N
Quarantine sucks, guys. I'm both bored and have too much shit to do. How's that happen? Here's this for you guys to have for the next bit of self-isolation. I keep losing track of the days. Stay home and stay safe.
Gingy