Chapter Thirty: More Than What We Know

I got a call the next morning.

     "Mr. Raven... are you awake?" the person on the other line asked with an urgent tone to their voice.

     "Barely," I grumbled, turning to my side. 

     My alarm clock says that it's six o'clock.

     Ugh.

     "Well, listen... come down to the DAA's office... immediately."

     "Why? Did you get lost as you were trying to find a restroom?" I questioned, a hint of humor in my voice, not quite caring who I was talking to at this point. "Or do you need help tying your shoes?"

     "Actually," the caller sighed, slightly annoyed, "it's about Demerious."

     "Oh... great," I groaned as I tumbled out of bed - letting it go unmade - and started putting on a fresh outfit, throwing yesterday's clothes by the side of my dresser, barely missing the half-eaten jar of peanut butter right next to the dresser.

     I threw on my cowl and shoes, snatched up my car keys, and bolted out the front door. 

* * * * * * * 

     "Great timing," the guy sitting in the office cubicle right next to the door said sarcastically, spinning around in his dinky little office chair so he could see my face.

     The office was mostly clean, despite the stack of papers atop a printer in the corner and the out-of-place dartboard near the hallway.

     When he did see who he was talking to, though, he fell right off his chair.

     "Thanks for that," I muttered, attempting to keep my cool.

     "No problem, Raven... though, I must say, you are quite a bit scarier than I expected."

     "You have a lot left to learn, then." I managed a small, bitter smile, unsheathing a dagger.

     "Hey, hold on a second here, I -"

     "Shut up and pay attention," I hissed, interrupting him, watching as his hands shook, watching as he crawled underneath his desk.

     The dartboard that my eyes had spotted earlier flashed into my mind.

     His eyes locked onto mine, and I glared back at him, daring him to say anything else.

     I raised my dagger.

     Then, I spun around and flung the knife right at the dartboard.

     The knife sailed through the air and with a small crack!  the knife hit the board.

     Bull's eye.

     "S-sir Raven?" 

     "What do you want."

     "P-please don't kill me."

     I pretended as if I needed to think about what he was asking of me. Now, I wouldn't have actually killed him; he hadn't really offended me.

     I suppose it was a bit dramatic.

     "Where do I need to go?" I scowled.

     "Third door on the right... i-in the hallway."