Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Preparation Starts

"Dianne?"

     "You guessed correctly, Raven. How - how are you?"

     I used the back of my hand to erase the existence of any tears, fallen or not.

     "I-I'm fine... but you aren't... I said to never come in contact with me again, Dianne. I meant it. You know that."

     "I know it, but -"

     "There's no excuse, Dianne!" I raised my voice a bit, pounding my fist on the wall.

     She took a step back, but then, she regained that step and her eyes locked onto mine.

     "You're not the monster that you make yourself out to be!" she cried, her hands on my shoulders, shaking me.

     At least, she tried to shake me. 

     I remained standing, perfectly balanced.

     "I am a monster. Accept it. I'm not human... I'm far from it. And you should be afraid."

     "I don't care that you're a 'monster'. I love you for it."

     She leaned closer.

     I broke her hold on me, nearly shoving her away. I didn't want her - I didn't need this at that second, right now.

     "No. You can't; you don't." 

     I flattened myself up against the wall, suddenly frightened of her.

      Panic choked off some of my oxygen.

     Why am I panicking? Why am I afraid? 

     "Raven, you're perfectly fine... just breathe... I'm not here to hurt you... "

     "What... what's happening..." 

     "Your magic is completely dead."

     "That - that's not it, I - " A choking noise cut me off.

     Did it come from me? I wondered.

     "You've strained yourself. You've been using it to keep yourself awake, to keep yourself strong... but now? It's all falling apart, Ravenous."

     I swallowed.

     She said my name. 

     The name on her tongue was so casual, so striking. It's almost as if she didn't know the power that it held.

     The darkness it held.

     And that's why I preferred to keep it guarded.

     Locked away.

     "What did you just say." 

     "I - I mean, Raven..."

     "Where did you find my name. How do you know my name." 

     My voice was ice. My fingernails sliced into my palms.

     "I... I dug around. And Emeran kind of told me."

     "You spoke with him."

      Her betrayal hit me hard.

     "I did, and I'm so sorry, I can't -"

     "Don't talk to me again, Dianne. You don't know what you've done."

     "Then let me know!" she managed to say.

     "LEAVE ME ALONE!" I screamed, purple fire lapping its way up the walls, down the floors, swallowing everything in its path.

     This time, she was afraid.

      Instead of letting everything burn, I silenced the fire and walked down the hallway, and I reported the evidence I'd just gotten of Emeran's confession to Chief. He nodded and told me to go home, and that he expected me to be at the court house on Emeran's trial date.

     I told him I'd be there.