Chapter Forty-One: The Ending of My Story

"You are sentenced to life in prison."

     I grinned from the back of the courtroom, winking a glittery purple eye at Emeran. As he was dragged away in handcuffs, his hair in front of his face as he glared at me, a sense of pleasure rippled through me.

     Everyone got up after the judge allowed it, and I stepped out of the building, walking into the bright daylight.

     "Hey, congrats on -"

     I knew that familiar voice when I heard it. I would always know it, whether I wanted to or not.

     "No. Remember what I said?"

     "Yes, I do, but..."

     Dianne and I did not speak for a while after that. We stood underneath a tree that gifted us shade.

     "Raven, I'm so sorry."

     "Yeah? Well, me, too."

     With that, I left her to stand by herself, and I soon found myself in my car and driving to a very special place.

     One that serves as a reminder.

* * * * * * *

     "Here lies Amelia Sharpclaw. Rest in peace."

     I stared at the numbers carved on the polished stone, knowing that they were all wrong.

     It was the city's coverup numbers, and they would always be there.

     I couldn't do anything about it, of course.

     But at least I had them back.

     I kneeled down, my knee inches from the fresh dirt, and I lay a fresh red rose atop the dirt.

     "Mom... I just hope that you're happy... wherever you are. I want you to know that I've always loved you, and I will continue to keep loving you. I... I just want you to know that."

     A gentle breeze whipped up after I'd uttered those words.

     "Yes. I love you too, Mom," I grinned, fighting back tears.

     The wind faded, but just to show that her feelings weren't hurt, I'm guessing, a small daisy landed by the rose that I had set down.

     "Here lies Raye Sharpclaw. Rest in peace."

     "Hey, Dad."

     I dropped the other rose that I held on top of my dad's fresh grave.

     "I love you, too... and I'll always love you, too. I hope that you're happy, too..."

     I swallowed, a tear dripping down my cheek.

     "I'm sorry that I'm getting so sedimental... I just really miss you both..."

     "I'm glad that you're doing great, Raven. We miss you, too. We wish that we were here for you."

     I whirled around.

     No one was there, but I swear that I'd heard my parents' voices.

     "Yeah," I smiled again.

     I looked back at the graveyard gates, seeing an undertaker pass by.

     "Goodbye."

     "Love you, Raven. Sorry we can't be here physically, but... you should continue to get on with your life. Don't let our deaths hold you back."

     I felt someone rub and pat my shoulder. I knew instantly, by the way that he used to do it, that it was my father.

     "Love you both. I-I'll be back soon. I promise."

     "Wait."

     Like magic, Rennasin appeared, running at me through the gates.

     He no longer seemed to be a ghost.

     "How are you -"

     "It's me, Raven."

     "How -!?"

     "I'll explain later."

     I crushed him into a hug, his sobs matching my own.

     When I exited the gates with him, I took a final look behind me.

     And I can still swear - even to this day - that I saw my parents floating above their graves peacefully, waving at me as I walked toward Rennasin.

     And that's how I know, even to this day, that underneath the moon is where my secrets lie.