Chapter Forty: The Downfall of His Empire

I was dreaming.

     At least, I think  I was.

     After all, Ren Knifeborn is no longer alive. 

     I watched from a sun-graced, stony cliff, the sun just starting to peek over the horizon, as Ren Knifeborn stood on the very edge of the same cliff.  The cliff's ledge was so thin itself that it should've broken off and sent Ren plummeting.

     I was forced to watch Ren Knifeborn slit his own throat.

    He wasn't shadowed all that much; it almost seemed as if I was supposed  to watch this happen.

     He took a bone-handled knife from his vest and looked at me, his eyes holding flickering' flames.

     "Rae," he whispered. "Don comman... femil semicis."

     "The sun will watch over me."

     "Rennasin!" I cried out then, helpless but ready to help all at once. "Don't make this mistake!" 

     "Ignesius felant mekantis approacis."

     "Your mistake is approaching me."

     "I won't approach you!" I promised him. "Just please..."

     "Genakis tekis timakus, iss lordes."

     "My time is up, my lord."

     "Our time will never be up," I whispered back, tears in the corners of my eyes, stepping over toward him. "I love you, Rennasin."

     "Jamakin ilesis Ravenous."

     "Goodbye, my Ravenous."

     He raised the knife to his throat, made a deep gash in his own skin, and crumpled to the ledge. 

     The sad thing is, he never hit the stone.

     His body sailed off the cliff, lost and forgotten.

     "Rennasin!" I screamed, unable to control the immediate shift that happened inside me.

     I sobbed as wings sprouted from my back, glittering and black in the dawn. I lunged for his body, but I missed.

     I threw myself off the cliff, searching for Ren's body.

     I knew that I would die if I never found him in the logical place where his body was supposed to fall; I would've accidentally shifted, giving in to my own emotions.

     His body was gone from the earth; it never hit the ground.

     But I did. 

     And I felt the pain of dying.

     Why couldn't this have been real life, then?