Memory is Key

Two weeks had passed and everything was going well. Shadow actually made some friends. Carolina didn't hate her anymore. Tex still didn't talk much. There was one person who made her feel uncomfortable, made her feel nervous for some reason. That person was Maine. She walked to the hangar. When the hangar doors are open, she likes to look outside into the emptiness of space. That's the place where she likes to think. She smiled to see that the doors were open. Shadow walked her way to the edge of the hangar and leaned against the wall. She stares into the emptiness that we call space.

North walks up behind her.

"Hey" he says

"Oh hi, I thought you guys were asleep."

"Everyone else is. I just can't sleep. Theta is up late at night. I think he's scared of something or nervous."

"Does he usually do that?

"Yeah."

"Why don't you just shut him off for the night?" She asks.

"That makes him even more nervous. It calms him down whenever I walk around. So, why are you here?"

"This is the place where I like to think. It helps me remember all of the good times with my family." She looks out into the distance.

North stared at her for a second, "You know what? This is the first time I've seen you without your helmet."

"Really? That's weird. You know, the only person I have never seen without their helmet is Maine." She tells him.

"We see him all the time in the locker room. If you want to know what he looks like, go to the computer room. There you can pull up files on each of us. Basically a small biography." He says.

"Thanks. One more question, can you give me a brief description of how he looks?"

"Oh, big guy, bald, and has a tattoo of the 'meta' symbol on the back of his head."

Shadow began to remember fragments of the day her family was murdered. She shuddered. "Th... Thank you. I'll be in the computer room." North waves goodbye to Shadow. She walks to the doors and they slide behind her. As soon as they closed, she ran to the computer room. 'Maine seems too familiar to me and I'm going to find out why.' She thought to herself.

Small flash backs began to appear. She kept running. She remembered when she heard her family screaming. Gunshots. Then...

She finally made it to the computer room.(just imagine some really high-tech stuff in there). Shadow pulled out a couple files from the system. She then typed in 'Agent Maine'.

"There it is."

She opened the file and clicked on his picture. A 3D image of his head appeared(a hologram). She studied his face for a second. He somehow seemed familiar. When she looked at the back of it, she saw his tattoo. The meta symbol. There was something about it that made her feel uneasy. She analyzed it until...

Flashback

8:00 P.M.

December 23

9 year old Shadows P.O.V.

It was almost christmas, whole family was getting ready for it. Nate fell asleep almost two hours ago. Even though he was the youngest of us, he shouldn't be asleep right now. He's only a year younger than me. Oh well.

My older brother and I sat at the dining table and played Jenga. Tyler was always good at this game. Then again, he was 14. My parents were in the living room watching tv.

11:00 P.M.

December 23

3rd person P.O.V.

Everyone was sound asleep. Not a single sound could be heard. Everything was silent.

A man stood outside their front door. Waiting for the right moment. After waiting, he picked the lock and opened the door. Slowly. He entered the house.

As he crept his way upstairs, he pulled out his pistol. The man put his hand on the door knob and entered the master bedroom.

*bam, bam*

The little girl was awoken by these sounds. She got off her bed and stood in the middle of the room. There was a pause. Then she heard the gunshots again. She heard footsteps coming toward her room. The doorknob began to twist and the door opened slowly. She backed up until her back touched the wall. Fear took over her body.

The man walked into the room and pointed the gun straight at her. She slid down and sat on the ground. Shaking. He pulled the trigger.

Nothing happened. He ran out of ammo. He gave her one last glance and walked away. The little girl noticed something on the back of his head. A tattoo. The man walked down the stairs, walked out, and closed the door.

The little girl ran to her parents room. At the door frame she stopped.

"Mo.... Mommy?" Her mom was lying on the floor. She ran up to her and sat beside her.

"Mommy?! Please be okay! Please!"

"Everything will be okay." Her mom said in a weak tone. "I... I love you." And with that, she slowly shut her eyes.

"No... No, NO!!!! Nate! Tyler! Daddy! Anyone!... Please help!" Tears formed in her eyes. She began to cry while she sat there...

Alone in the darkness...

Flashback over.

Shadow was crying. She rubbed her eyes then looked back at the hologram of Maine. She never felt so much anger and sadness in her whole life.

"It was you all along."

________________________

(O_O)

...

I. Am. Sorry.

I have no words for this chapter. I actually cried writing this chapter. What's going to happen? Well, you just have to wait until next week! More cliffhangers!!!

ummmm, so yeah, I'm such a bad person XD . Hope you enjoyed this chapter. You guys probably hate me now. Haha