XII. Other Side

OTHER SIDE

2007 AD

21st February 13:07

North Pole

Jack had his ear pressed up against a door as he tried to hear through it. It wasn't going so well considering that they were in the North Pole and all the walls, floors, windows and doors were thick.

But he had definitely heard it.

He had been flying through the halls, partly on the run from a certain Yeti, also partly looking for Agatha. He had just flown past the library when a noise had made him stop for a few seconds before flying back and pressing his ear against the door.

He had heard her laugh.

Not the small giggle or chuckle, or the laugh that was obviously forced he had given him when they had first actually spoken to each other, but a laugh. A proper one.

So here he was, practically one with the wall as he tried to figure out what was going on on the other side of the door. Every now and then he would hear the sound of Agatha laughing, he had even caught her snorting once or twice. But he couldn't make out any of the actual conversation, or who she was talking to.

They sounded male.

Everything went quite for a while, Jack wondered what was going on, but he didn't want to enter, though he could make it look like he had done it accidentally. . .

Jack gasped, eyes widening, as the door opened. His feet left the ground and he fell forwards, but he caught himself and made it look like he had done a somersault into mid air. He turned to look at a shocked Agatha, her hand still grasping the door handle as she stared at him.

''Hi?'' She said, furrowing her eyebrows as she shook her head slightly in confusion.

''Who were you talking to?'' He asked, internally wincing at how straight forward he was. So much for the plan to ease it into conversation.

Agatha didn't look angry though, her expression was a mix of amused and uncomfortable. Jack didn't even know that was possible until now. Agatha shifted her weight onto her other leg as she glanced down, trying to think of the right words.

''An old friend of mine,'' She shrugged, hoping that Jack wouldn't push the matter. Normally, he wouldn't, but something was different this time.

''A male friend?'' He asked, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

''You know, you're kinda like him,'' Agatha said, cocking her head to the side as she studied Jack.

''Where'd he go?'' Jack asked, turning around to look at the library. Though he had a slight disadvantage as he had never set foot in the room.

''He-He-'' Agatha cut herself off, her eyes narrowing in thought. ''He was never really here.''

Jack stared at her for a while, trying to figure out what she meant. An imaginary friend? She did mention how she was lonely. No - he had heard them too. A spell maybe? But Agatha never mentioned being able to control magic. Was he one of the-

''He was. He was on the other side?'' Jack asked. Agatha physically relaxed. She had been hoping Jack would figure it out. As easy as it was to lead people to the other side, knowing that they would be happier there, it was still difficult knowing her friend was there. She doubted she would even be able to say that he was dead.

''Yeah.''

''Did you take him there?'' Jack asked, his voice softening ever so slightly, in case it was a touchy subject. And, somehow, he knew it was.

''Yes.''

There was something else. Normally, Jack wouldn't push the matter but this time he could tell that she was upset by it. All the other times she had concealed something from him - and he knew there was a lot - her face had been void of any emotion.

This time her brows were creased, she had a frown on her lips, though it twitched slightly as she tried to smile at him. Even her eyes. They had tears in them. Jack couldn't actually see them, but no one blinked that much.

So he landed on the floor - having still being floating the entire time - and took a step towards her. His hands went to her shoulders and his head ducked down so he could look up into her eyes, her head being bobbed down as she had tried to avoid eye-contact. He sent her a soft smile.

''You knew him before, didn't you?''

Agatha nodded, her bottom lip trembling as she tried to keep her mouth firmly closed, she stopped blinking though, her eyes now locked with Jack's as a silent tear ran down her face. Jack frowned, his eyes following it down her cheek until it went to the bottom of her chin, falling off her face.

Agatha's eyes kept on Jack, wondering what he was doing as he stood up, his hands never leaving her shoulders as he looked down at her - being an inch or two taller. He frowned again before his hands moved off her shoulders and around her upper-back, pulling her in for a hug.

Agatha froze once his hands moved, wondering what he was doing, but once she gently hit his chest, she realised what it was and a sad smile spread on her features as her hands wrapped themselves around his torso. She hid her face in the crook of his neck, her body shaking as a sob finally escaped her mouth.

Jack racked his brain for something to say. Comfort wasn't really his strong suit, being the Guardian of Fun and all. Fun! What did Agatha find fun? He struggled to think of an answer, but his mind trailed off to the way her eyes lit up when he had first mentioned the other side. He remembered the way she described it, the way she had sighed happily once she had finished, holding herself back from talking about it for hours straight.

''Can I see it?'' He asked, his tone unlike his normal one. It wasn't smug, or cocky or amused, but soft, sad even.

''See what?'' Agatha said, her voice cracking as she spoke into Jack's collar bone, her warm breath tickling him slightly.

''The other side.'' Agatha pulled away slightly, looking up at him.

''You want to see the dead?''

''Why not? You said it was beautiful, I'll hold you to that,'' He winked, trying to add humour. It seemed to have worked as Agatha cracked a smile before backing out of his embrace and beckoning her Scythe. It appeared in a cloud of black mist, but that quickly evaporated, leaving her weapon behind.

Agatha turned her back on Jack as she swiped her Scythe through the air. It seemed to actually cut the air, leaving a purple slash floating in mid air before it began to open, revealing a portal that was framed by black mist.

Jack expected to see the other side of the room, but instead he found himself looking at France, the Eiffel Tower in sight. It looked like it would if he was to fly over there, except the streets were happier, everyone greeting everyone like they were life-long neighbours. Old people were playing with children, couples were holding hands happily. It looked like heaven, and Jack supposed that was what it was.

''Whoa,'' He breathed, not managing anything more than that.

''Whoa indeed,'' Agatha smiled, glad that she was able to show someone the other World, her world. And for him to be in awe of it? That was a big plus. Most only saw it as death for the few mortals that actually believed in her. She supposed you had to be dead to feel the true beauty of it.