XV. Three Blue-tiful Colours

THREE BLUE-TIFUL COLOURS

2007 AD

22nd February, 12:00

North Pole

Why'd you run?

''Go away, Amatus,'' Agatha said, her voice sounding croaky as her lips brushed against her knee. She was in the far corner of the library, curled up into a ball on the windowsill; her head tucked into her knees that were brought up to her chest, like she was trying to shrink down into nothing.

No. Now, why'd you run?

''Because,'' She answered, not even trying to explain how she felt, she didn't know herself.

You know that's not an answer. Why'd you run?

''I don't know,'' Agatha said, her voice barely audible as silent tears continued to run down her face as she tried not to let out her sobs, her bottom lip quivering as she tried to stop. ''I don't know! Okay?. . . Just. . . Leave me alone, Cupe.''

When there was no response, Agatha knew he had listened to her, though part of he silently wished he hadn't. She needed someone's shoulder to cry on, but the two were worlds part, quite literally. And she didn't really fancy seeking comfort from Bunny or North.

''Agatha?'' A gentle voice said, coming from her left. Slowly, Agatha's head lifted out of her knees as she peeked over them to look at Jack. When he saw her blood shot eyes - which looked kinda scary with her white irises, but he wasn't afraid, not at all - and the small wrinkles on her chin as her lip quivered, he felt himself stiffen in worry.

She shook her head at him before burying her face back in her knees, her hands cuddling herself.

''Agatha,'' Jack repeated, perhaps even softer than last time as he flew over, landing next to her as he crouched next to the windowsill she was perched on. ''Agatha, look at me.'' Agatha tilted her head so she could face him, but she didn't leave her fetal position. When she moved to face him, Jack felt himself smile.

''What's your favourite colour?'' He asked. The question was random given the situation, but that was what Jack wanted; to take her mind off of things.

''Yellow,'' She whispered, smiling slightly as she thought of the colour.

Jack's eyes widened slightly. He hadn't been expecting that. But, nonetheless, once he got over the absurd colour, he found himself smiling. The colour seemed so. . . So. . . So, Agatha - if that was a thing. ''Can you tell me why?''

She hesitated before nodding, her head slowly leaving her knees as she moved it back, leaning it against the wall. ''It's bright.''

''But so's white,'' Jack reasoned.

Agatha sighed. ''So are my eyes. Legend says, when I find my purpose, when I find my reason for being here, they'll change colour. I don't know what too, presumably my old ones. It's the disappointment of seeing the white my eyes are that makes me not like the colour.''

Jack nodded slowly, processing what he had just been told. He couldn't help but wonder what her eyes used to be either. ''But why yellow?''

''It's stereotyped for being joy, happiness. It's a bright colour.''

''Well,'' Jack moved forward in his crouched position, making eye contact with Agatha. Slowly, he reached forward and grabbed her hand, refraining from smiling when she didn't flinch. She never flinches anymore, but, though that makes Jack happy, this time she had flipped her hand to grasp his back, and he felt like hugging her. But he didn't. Instead, he leaned forward, bringing his voice to a whisper, ''I really like blue.''

Agatha felt herself giggle slightly before she sniffled, bringing her spare hand to her face as she wiped her left eye. ''Why?''

Jack shrugged, a smirk creeping onto his featured, ''I don't know. It's just really blue-tiful.''

Agatha burst into a fit of giggles as she curled up again, but not to cry, this time it was to hold her stomach as it began hurting as she laughed so hard at the silly little joke.

Jack felt his smirk melt into a wide smile, chuckling as he watched her laugh so hard. Once she had began to calm down, he nodded his head once. ''Although, I also really like white.''

Agatha tilted her head, her eyebrows furrowing.

How could anyone like a colour so. . . Horrid.

''Why?''

''Because snow's white, and I create snow,'' Jack said smugly, like he was proud of his creation. Agatha shook her head, slightly amused. Jack smiled, leaning towards Agatha as he moved a piece of hair behind her ear before cupping her cheek, the pad of his thumb wiping away the tear stains on her cheek. Agatha smiled, moving her head towards it, enjoying the warm cold his hands sent through her cheek. ''And,'' He continued, smiling softly when Agatha raised an eyebrow at him. ''Like you said, it's the colour of your eyes.''

A blush flared through Agatha's cheeks as she brought her own hand up, shooing away Jack's as she looked away, using her hand to shield her face.

Jack laughed at her before his hand went to grasp hers as he stood up.  Agatha looked up at him as he tugged on it, she still wasn't fully in control of her cheeks.

''You ready for the others?'' Agatha froze, hesitating. Jack sighed, ''I know they can be a little. . . Overexcited, but they're only trying to help.''

Agatha nodded, forcing a smile as she stood up, still seeming hesitant. But now Jack knew the difference between her real smiles and her fake ones.

''Besides,'' Jack said, smiling down at her as she walked beside him, he gave her hand a small squeeze. ''I'll be right there with you.''

Agatha nodded before looking up at Jack and nodding.

It was a real smile, Jack could tell.