XIX. Can't Complain

CAN'T COMPLAIN

2007 AD
DATE - Unknown
PLACE - Unknown

Agatha had no idea where she was, what time it is or what date, and that scared her. She also had no idea what to do.

The only the she was aware of, was the cold damp floor and the bird-like cage that was lowered over her head. Honestly, the whole thing was undignifying. The cage was in what she assumed to be a cave - it was dark enough and she couldn't actually see any walls so it must have been big. There was also an annoying drip from the roof that was somewhere above her, dropping in her head no matter where she moved to in the cage.

She wondered if the Guardians were looking for her. Afterall, they never really wanted her in the first place, maybe this was the excuse they had been waiting for.

But then Agatha remembered Jack.

She remembered the late night talks they've had, the piggy back ride... The way he looked at her like she mattered, the way he would brush the back of his hand against her to silently ask if she was alright, the way he never pushed her into talking about herself, the way made sure they were back to back in dangerous situations... The way he smiled and his eyes crinkled, the way he had one dimple when he smiled, revealing his white teeth, the way he always knew what to say-

Agatha's eyes widened, a realisation dawning on her. She had spent enough time with Cupid to know what this meant.

She liked Jack.

Tears filled her eyes and she brought her knees inwards, her chest taking in shaky breaths. She couldn't like anyone, she couldn't. Agatha had fallen in love once, and she would make sure it would never happen again. But what was the best way to go about it?

Before she could ponder on how to act, a cackle was heard from somewhere in the distance. As usual, it was echoing off the walls, hiding his exact location. Agatha rolled her eyes, pulling her hood further down to try and block him out.

''How are you enjoying your stay?'' Pitch hollered.

''Can't complain really,'' Agatha said with a small shrug of her shoulders. ''It's improved since the last time I was here. You've swept.''

It was true, it had been the first thing she had looked for when she gained consciousness. Last time there was smooth, small pebbles that decorated the ground and she had used them to break the lock.

''Why am I here?''

''You're here, because I need you to be.''

''And why is that?''

Pitch laughed. ''Oh, this is so much more fun now that you answer.'' His voice grew closer and Agatha shot to her feet, her hood falling off her head as she spun to see him leaning against the cage bars. ''No more talking to myself.''

Agatha decided to stay silent, just to annoy him.

It worked as Pitch tssked and began walking circles around her cage.

''I'll ask again,'' Agatha said, stepping forward to grab the bars and glare at him. ''Why am I here?''

Pitch strolled towards her at a leisurely pace, stopping in front of her, he was about to respond when a smirk over took his features. Agatha hadn't noticed that her hood had fallen down when she stood and how now her face could be seen. Including the fresh tear marks that went down her cheeks.

''What's interesting about you, Aggie, dear, is that you've always had one fear for as long as I've know you. It's never changed or faded away,'' Pitch taunted and Agatha knew exactly what Pitch was talking about as an unwanted shiver ran down her spine. ''And that one fear is being believed in. You don't want people to see you, you don't want them to reject you like all the others have. In fact, you feel a wave of relief every time someone walks through you. It's a strange concept in itself. But what's even stranger is that something has replaced this one fear. I'm not sure how, since it was so so strong, but it has. Now tell me, Aggie, what is this new fear of yours?''

Agatha paled as the thought echoed through her mind.

Pitch smirked, leaning in so she could see his golden irises that taunted her from a distance. ''Got it.''

''No, wait! Pitch!'' Agatha yelled, lunging for him, her arms squeezing through the bars but he disappeared into the shadows and didn't reply when she called for him.

 Don't worry, I have noticed that my chapters are getting smaller, but hopefully that won't be the case for much longer. I've got the story line now and all I need is a few minor details and Pitch's motive.

Thank you all for staying and loving the book as much as I do. Hopefully you won't have to wait much longer until the updates become more frequent.

Stay safe, hydrated, make sure you eat and take your pills if you need them!
I love you!