Chapter Sixteen

1967

A young, dark-haired girl stood on the patio, staring intently out at the trees lining the bottom of the garden as the were battered by the ferocious autumn winds. The cold air nipped at her cheeks, turning the a vibrant red shade as she tried to hide her trembling knees and hands.
Evening was setting in and it wouldn't be long until the girl was completely encased in darkness as the sun set behind the large house.

"Esmeralda!"

The sound of a woman from inside the house caught the girl's attention. She turned her head slightly to the side but showed no intention of actually heading indoors.

"Smell-merelda!" The voice a young boy rang out just behind her. Spinning around suddenly with a piercing gaze already settled on her face, the girl spotted her brother stood in the doorway with a cheeky grin on his face.

Esme scoffed at the sight, "Not your smartest insult." The young child pointed out.

"Still older than you though." He stuck his tongue out.
"Only by eleven months!" Esme exclaimed suddenly.

"I'm still seven, and you're only six!" Ignatius cackled as if it were the funniest thing in the world.

"Go away, stupid." She folded her arms tightly and turned her back to the boy.
"Mother told me to come and get you." Ignatius added, "The Black family is here."

"Oh! Is Reg here?" The girl squealed excitedly, not bothering to wait for an answer as she dashed past her brother and towards the front door of their home. As she expected, in the hallway stood Regulus Black, with his mother and their house elf: Kreacher.

"Es!" Regulus threw his arms out as a huge smile erupted over his face. Esme took little time to barrel into his arms as the two embraced tightly, laughing the whole while.
"Reggie!" The girl exclaimed gleefully.

"Aren't they just the sweetest?" Antoinette Avery doted, placing a hand on her chest.
"They just are." Walburga nodded slightly as she draped her coat over Kreacher, "Orion has taken Sirius to a quidditch match this evening."

Antoinette forced out a tiny smile, "Ah, well he and Igantius will have to catch up another time. It's been a while since they've seen each other - well, since any of us have seen Sirius."
Walburga only hummed shortly in response, removing her gloves and dropping those on top of Kreacher as well.

"Let's go upstairs, before Ignatius finds us." Esme whispered to her friend, gripping his hand and leading him upstairs.
Regulus happily followed, keeping up with the girl as she guided him into the office space where Lucas Avery often worked during the week.

"Es, I need need need to tell you something!" Regulus exclaimed suddenly upon remembering what had happened earlier that day.

Esme sat down in one of the large leather arm chairs, swinging her legs back and forth as they barely scraped the floor, "What?"
"I did magic today."

Regulus laughed. Not just a normal giggle, he laughed so much tears were brought to his eyes and he could barely breath. The young boy clutched his stomach and his cheeks flushed red.
But something was happening behind him.

Esme's jaw dropped open as she watched the lamp on the desk flash brighter than it ever had before. As Regulus continued to laugh louder, the light flashed more, growing bright every time. The girl held her hands over her eyes, barely able to look directly at it.

The Kreacher apparated into the room.

Regulus let out one final, loud laugh before leaning against one of the bookshelves to finally catch his breath.