Chapter Twenty One

Esme turned the letter over in her hand, shock bubbling and ready to burst. She couldn't believe it.

"I could have seen this coming. I knew something was wrong with him. I should have warned you." Dirk paced back and forth in front of where she sat on the sofa in the Ravenclaw common room. It was so early in the morning that nobody in the dormitories had even stirred as the sun peaked in through the tall windows.

"Not helpful, Cresswell." She mumbled, resting her elbows forward onto her knees as she scammed over her address on the cover of the envelope.

"I'm surprised you didn't tear his neck off then and there. If it were anyone else, your would have ripped them a new one on the spot." The boy shook his head, continuing to pace.
"Clearly." She replied.

"Why would you just... Let him do this?" Dirk stopped pacing and turned to face the girl, his hands firm on his hips.

"Black is like... He's like family to me. A family member I actually like some of the time, which is rare. I can't just cut him out of my life. I tried that. It sucked." She whispered, scrunching up the letter and dropping it onto the floor before allowing her head to fall into her hands.

"I don't trust him."
"He doesn't trust you."

"He probably hates me because my parents are muggles." Dirk grumbled as he sat down next to Esme on the sofa.
She finally looked across at him, "You hate him because his parents are purebloods. You're both idiots as far as I'm concerned."

"Esme..."
"Esmerelda." She corrected.

"Oh!" Dirk rolled his eyes, "I'm glad you're still in the mood for that nonsense. Avery, seriously, you need to confront Black. Ask him why he would steal this letter from Levi Rogers, addressed to you. There must be a motive."

"We should consult with Piper." Esme ignored him.
"Consult? Consult with Piper? You know she's going to tell you the same thing I am. You just don't want to confront Regulus. You've never had a problem with it before. I've seen you snap at each other of the years." Dirk sighed, feeling as though he were talking to a brick wall.

"Well things have changed since then." She whispered.

"Changed? The only thing that's changed is that boy has yet again proved why you shouldn't trust him. First he cuts you out because you're in Ravenclaw, then he steals a letter from you because they're from a Gryffindor." Dirk exclaimed, his voice louder now. Esme looked up, raising an eyebrow at him. She'd never seen the boy quite so worked up. If it hadn't been for the nature of the situation, she would almost laugh at how wound up he was.
"Cresswell," She sighed, "This isn't some stupid petty grievance over Hogwart's houses. We're not eleven anymore."

"Then explain to me what this is about." Dirk folded his arm and stared at the girl, skepticism carved into his expression.

"It doesn't matter." Esme stood up suddenly, "I should go speak to Regulus about this. Don't tell anybody. Especially not Levi Rogers. I'll handle it."

Dirk held his hands up in surrender, not wanting to push the matter any further. As he watched the girl get up and leave the common room, one thought lingered in his mind. He had seen Esme angry before, plenty of times. She would constantly rant about how unethical and inconsiderate people were. Once, she even flown off the rails at a Gryffindor student who said students from wealthier families should be allowed to pay to travel home more frequently.

Yet, Esme didn't seem angry that particular morning. She seemed disappointed.

That was something Dirk had never seen before, and he never wanted to see Esme like that again.