Chapter Ninety Seven

In books... even TV shows and movies, there's always that point in which one of the characters is dying. There's always those dramatic few moments where people rush to the dying character's side in order to say farewell, or even just to scream in denial. There's always the final goodbyes, the seconds where love can be shared or reparations made.
The dramatic music plays, and the characters can share one last look into each other's eyes.

Esmerelda Avery would never forgive magic for robbing her of that moment.
Esme would never forgive the Death Eaters for what they stole from her that day.

Truthfully, she would never forgive herself.
She had so many regrets, so many things unspoken and actions never completed that were taken, ruthlessly from her.

Though, like in the movies, as the flash of the Killing Curse disappeared, time seemed to slow down. Those seconds, as Esme watched the now-lifeless body lying on the ground, stretched out for days.

Tears rolled endlessly down the girl's cheeks as she crumbled down to her knees. Yet, she couldn't bring herself to shout to scream or run to help.

"Esme! Esme, come on!"

She had known of course, the dangers of what they were involved in. Esme had never meant to put her friends in harm's way, never.
Slowly, she dragged her head up to look over at her father, who stood with his wand still pointed in the air.

Lucas Avery had cast the curse with the full intent of striking down his own daughter.

Nobody could ever fully understand what it was like to stare into the deep eyes of the man who raised you and loved you and ultimately, tried to kill you. Esme realised that in the countless years she had spent struggling to develop her own sense of identity, she had drifted so far away that she didn't even recognise her own family anymore. Looking at her father now, she didn't know who he was. The only thing she knew for certain was that he would sacrifice her - and no father should ever be willing to do that to his child.

That was what really broke Esme.
Her heart had shattered and her soul had died.

"Esme, look at me!"

Then the guilt started to creep in. That small flicker of relief that Esme hadn't died. Not yet. That relief that someone had thrown themselves in front of her. Esme hadn't deserved it. Her life wasn't more important than anyone else's.

She was devastated she had watched her friend die right before her eyes. She was grateful to still be breathing. She was angry anyone would leapt between her and the Killing Curse. She was furious her father was so consumed by the Dark Lord's wishes. She was desperate for revenge.

"Esme!"

Blinking, quickly, she finally turned her gaze to Regulus Black. The young man cupped her face in his hands as he spoke, but Esme couldn't hear a word. She watched his lips move up and down but couldn't hear a word he was saying.
It was as though her body had completely given up on itself - it wasn't worth the effort to process anything else.

"Esme, we need to get out of here!" Regulus urged, most of his eyes masked by his wild dark hair. His hands moved to her shoulders, gently shaking Esme in order to get her to focus on him.

Her voice was so hoarse, barely even a whisper as she forced a few words past her lips, "We-we can't leave her..."

"Of course not. Never. Not now, not ever do we leave her." He nodded rapidly as they both looked over at the frail body lay across the cold floor.

It was something out of a nightmare.
Piper Horix was barely recognisable now that she was no longer living. The light of life had been extinguished.