Chapter Eighty

"Where's your trunk?" Esme asked, not looking back as she wove her way through the bustling crowds of the train station platform

After visiting Sirius and his friends at the Potter farm, Esme and Regulus had barely seen each other again over the Christmas holidays.
They had spent Christmas day and New Years with their respective families - mostly because Walburga was doing all that was in her power to keep her son away from 'that dreadful girl'.
So after all of that, the two of them had been very grateful to see each other again. Esme, in particular, was looking forward to returning to Hogwarts and had surprised herself by being eager to watch Regulus in his quidditch matches again - especially as Slytherin was well on the way to winning the House Cup yet again.

Regulus, following closely behind, tugged nervously on his collar as he mumbled, "I haven't brought it."

She came to an abrupt standstill, spinning round on her feet to look up at the boy, "You forgot it? Well, what are you going to do? Because I'll tell you now, Cresswell will not let you borrow his clothes. Levi might lend you a t-shirt but-" She paused to laugh, "I think his clothes stand better chance of fitting a first year than you."

"I didn't forget my trunk."

Esme's expression hardened and her dark eyes became unreadable as she stared blankly ahead, almost as if she was looking directly through Regulus.
It took a few moments for her to process exactly what she was feeling. Then, suddenly, Esme whipped around again to face away from the boy, and she began walking down the platform again.

"Esme... Stop a second! Did you hear me?" He called out as he trailed after her.
She scoffed, "Oh, I heard you alright."

Still pushing their way down the platform, eventually they emerged from the dense crowds to stand behind one of the red brick pillars where they were out of sight of everyone else.
Regulus already knew he was in trouble.

"Esme, let me-"
"Shut up." Esme held up her hand, "And I mean that."

Regulus ran a hand through his hair and reached to take Esme's hand but she stepped back and frowned at him.
"I'm not coming back to Hogwarts." He admitted quietly, unable to look her in the eye.

"Say that again." Esme's eyebrows furrowed and her eyes narrowed as she glared at him, "Because I can't possibly have heard you correctly."
"Esme-"
"Go on."
He sighed, "I'm not coming back to Hogwarts."

She stepped back again, her arms tightly folded as she replied, "I can't believe you."
"Let me explain why-"
"I don't care why! Reg, are you serious? How can you do this?" Esme retorted in an accusatory tone.

"The Dark L-"
"Shut up. Just-shut up!"

Regulus sighed with exasperation, his features tugging down into a frown, "Esme, I just-"
"At what point exactly were you going to tell me that you're leaving?" Esme rubbed her hands over her face and began to pace back and forth, "Were you just planning on letting me get on the train so I could figure it out myself? You're insane!"