Chapter Ninety Five

Regulus Black sat up in bed in the early hours of the morning, as the first signs of the spring sun were climbing into the sky

Regulus Black sat up in bed in the early hours of the morning, as the first signs of the spring sun were climbing into the sky. The bedroom was icy cold and he cupped a warm mug of tea in both of his hands as he stared out of the window at the side of the room.

A groan sounded from beside him and the sheets moved slightly as a figure underneath slowly stirred.

"W-what time is it?" A groggy voice asked.
He replied, "About seven."

"Merlin!" She exclaimed, much more awake now as she threw the covers off her face and lay on her back, looking up at the ceiling, "This is what I get for not enchanting the curtains to stay closed."

"You were an early bird yourself once." Regulus pointed out as he looked down at Esme and combed back some of the hair out of her eyes.
She sighed, "Yeah, that was in Hogwarts when getting up early was the only way I could get some peace and quiet."

He offered, "I can close the curtains if you want to get back to sleep?" And he took another sip of his tea.
"No, it's alright." Esme shuffled across the bed so she could place a hand on his knee and rest her head in his lap. "I didn't notice you wake up in the night." She spoke softly.

"I only did once." Regulus replied, "So I'm making progress. Less of the jumping awake covered in cold sweat kind of nightmares."
Esme rubbed her thumb in small circles on his knee as she reminded him, "I've already told you, I wish you'd wake me up if that happens and I'm still asleep."
He exhaled, blowing his cold breath across the top of his drink, "They're just nightmares. I'll figure it out. There's nothing you can do."

"Well..." Esme sat up now, wiped her tired eyes, and planted a kiss on the boy's jaw before she continued, "What would make you feel better?"

He glanced over at her, and upon making eye contact, Esme sighed.
"Yeah... I still want to do that." He said.

"But," She grumbled, "You do know why it's a bad idea, don't you? You get that it's dangerous?"
Regulus nodded solemnly, "I know, I do. She's ill though and... And I've got to see her."

Esme didn't want to say what she thought. She didn't want to confess she assumed Walburga was lying about her sudden decline in health. She didn't want to tell that to Regulus.
So she kept quiet.

"I'm only going if you'll come with me." He placed a hand over hers.

If Regulus really wanted to see his parents again, then Esme had to go - if only to protect him.

"Fine, alright." She gave in, "But this better perk you up."
"It will." He smiled, "Thank you."

"Yeah, well..." Esme leant up to give him a kiss, "I'm only doing this for you."