the truth finally comes out...sort of.

an: yes that picture is me lol

alec refused to leave. he wouldn't eat, drink or even sit down until the doctors confirmed josh was fine. they were going to keep him overnight to run some checks and let him build up energy, but he would be good to go in the morning.

"thank you, ally. you're the best person i've ever known. which is why i have to tell you this now. i-"
"BAAAAAABYYYYYYYY OH MY GOD ARE YOU ALRIGHT?!"

caitlin had caught wind of what happened. alec told himself to not be annoyed, that caitlin was a sweet girl, and that she was just concerned for her boyfriend.

josh smiled at her and returned her hug.
"hey babe. i'm fine, actually. all i need to do is stay a night and then boom! i'll be home."
caitlin smiled. she was a pretty girl.

josh paused, and began to talk. "actually, i'm glad you're here for a couple of reasons. i was just about to tell alec something, but now i can tell you both. i-"
"alec?! you're needed. urgently. it's magnus's father."
quicker than a flash alec was gone. josh let out an irritated growl. all he wanted was to talk to his best friend, but apparently society didn't want it.

"babe? i know you wanna tell alec whatever this is, but you can tell me right now if you want."
josh considered it for a moment. "sorry, but no. it's too important for that."

———————

alec rushed down. magnus was very pale and ill looking.
"what happened??"
"they found my dad out somewhere on a street. he almost died. almost overdosed. when they were bringing him in, apparently he said it was because he just wanted to join my mom."
alec fell silent. this was a lot to take in.
"i don't expect you to say much. i suppose you're just in shock. but- hold me?"
"of course. i always will."

magnus was numb. he didn't know how to feel, and to be honest he didn't want to right now. his dad was awful- but he was the only alive family he had left. no one else cared for him, even if it was in such a twisted way.

this terrified him. he couldn't risk his dad dying. he wasn't old enough to have a stable income. he couldn't financially support himself. he'd lose the house.

losing his dad could make him lose his life.

"i love you. more than anything. right now, i need you to stay with me. i need someone, anyone, to just, support and care for me."
alec nodded in understanding. "i won't go. not now and not ever. how is your dad, by the way?"
"he'll need several days recovery, but he will be alright."
"good."

and that was the end of the conversation.

——————

three hours turned into three days. three days turned into three weeks. and three weeks turned into three months.

it had been three months since everything, and also three months since josh had been in school. he was out on concussion precaution, and also because he'd developed a lung infection just as he healed up from his beating. jonathan had gotten two months community service, but of course alec wished he had been given life. he was still the same, which just proved how shitty people really were.

alec had been allowed to have magnus over for some of the time as well.
the only thing worrying his mind was what josh had been trying to tell him that day at the hospital.
which was exactly why he'd surprised him at his house this evening.

"hey buddy! long time no see. how's it been?"
josh looked positively glowing to see alec. and so, of course, was little sophie.
"alec? guess what?" she exclaimed, and widened her mouth pointing at a small stumpy white piece. "its gonna be a big girl tooth!!"
"wow! that's great!"

"sophie? stop bothering the boys, i'm sure they have some catching up to do," josh's mum called.
"it's okay! she's not annoying us or doing anything wrong!"
"still," cassie said, "you boys need some time. here sophie, i have cookie mix!"
sophie ran off squealing, leaving the two boys to themselves.

"how've you been?" asked josh.
"oh, you know. not much has been happening, except- wait. i haven't told you yet. magnus and i have been dating for five months. i didn't wanna tell you because i didn't want to shock you, but i just-"
josh felt a pang in his heart. "it's alright. i pretty much sussed it out anyways. you guys are really nice together. i can tell there's a lotta love."
alec blushed. "you're right. i was gonna say that remember how i had to be called out of your room in the hospital? well it was magnus's dad- he'd just been found wandering the roads, and had attempted to overdose. magnus stayed with me for several weeks because of that."
"aw man, i'm so sorry to hear that. tell magnus i hope he's going okay."
"thanks. i will."

there was a couple moments of silence. alec wanted to know what josh was going to tell him, but he didn't want to ask in case it was rude.
"i take it you remember i was gonna tell you something? well i've got two main things to tell you. you want the important one or the less important one first."
alec rose an eyebrow. as far as he could remember, josh had only tried to tell him one thing.
"less, i guess."
"caitlin and i broke up. we're still best friends, and we're still really close, and i do still absolutely adore her and love her. but she and i both felt that maybe, our love wasn't so great at being romantic."

alec had to stop his jaw from dropping. "what? sorry. are you alright? why? i thought you guys were madly in love."
"well, you see, that's where my next thing to tell you comes in."

—————————

magnus's life had changed since that night. now his dad was constantly sucking up to him, and got offended if he refused help. it was understandable though; he probably felt at least a little bad for leaving his son so distraught. but something else had started nagging his mind.

josh.

he knew it was awful. he knew he shouldn't presume. but he could easily see through josh's façade when he was around alec.

and they were so close...

no.
alec loved magnus. magnus loved alec. alec would never be the type of person to cheat on someone.

oh god. there he was, getting himself all wound up over nothing. to relax the tension in his body a little, he decided to go on a run.

—————————

josh felt his hands sweat. his stomach was awful. he didn't know why he was so anxious to do this. but he had to.

"i- i think i've known this for a while. i've always found myself wondering, and thinking about my feelings. i don't- i know you won't think any different of me, and i know i'm getting worked up over nothing, but i just haven't been said these words out loud to someone i love as much as you. alec?"

"yeah?"

"i'm bisexual."

"oh," alec said softly. "oh! ok cool! that's great!"
alec was partially in shock (although he really was the only person shocked) but he was happy. he hugged josh tight.
"i'm so proud of you for having the courage to say that man. i'll always love and respect you."

josh felt like a weight had been lifted off his chest. like he could breathe again.
"so how did you know?"
"same way you knew you were gay, i guess."
alec laughed. "what, having a devastatingly massive crush on your best friend but not realising it until someone points it out to you so then you stop talking to the friend in case people find out?"

josh was a little shocked at the accuracy of alec's statement.

"pretty much! although i haven't cut all contact with the friend."
"who is it?"

"hmm, you'll find that out another time."