love is painful

lmao y'all i'm so sorry for not uploading earlier i've just literally been busy n stuff but here u go :)

any confidence alec had previously had going into this (although let's face it; he didn't have any at all) completely withered away when he heard josh speak. it was so sad to see him like this. his confident, chatty, happy best friend, reduced to a quiet and vulnerable child.

"listen. i don't wanna make this any more awkward than it will be. josh, if you wish, i will leave now so that you and alec can have some real time. this is a very personal discussion to you, and i want you to be as comfortable as possible."
josh smiled, and thanked magnus for being so thoughtful. "if you don't mind, i would like to be with just alec."
"i understand. all the best!" said magnus, tapping josh's shoulder, giving alec a smile, and walking away.

alec hated this already. he felt awful for josh.
"so...it's true yeah?"
"it is. and it always has been. but- can i make one thing clear? this is purely for me. i'm not doing this to get you to fall in love with me or something. i know how much you love magnus, and quite frankly you guys are absolutely perfect for each other. i really respect y'all. but i can't deny the truth, and nor can i bottle it up."

alec smiled. "i completely understand that. and i like that you're telling me, because you know the last thing i would want is for you to be destroyed by a secret that, okay, maybe makes me feel a little funny, but it is not about me. it's about your comfort, your life."

josh looked up at the sky, smiling. he felt tears welling in his eyes.
he didn't deserve alec.
he couldn't.

———————————

as soon as he had left, magnus felt odd. alone. like the air around him had just dropped ten degrees. oh well. he decided that as soon as he got home he would ring tessa for an update on her boy dilemma. secretly he had always found will very attractive, but he wasn't going to let his personal opinions cloud one of his best friend's judgement.

"tessie! hi! thanks for answering. i have nothing to do and i NEED UPDATES!!!"
tessa blushed. "...updates on what? i don't know what you're talking about."
"duh you do!! come on, who did you pick???"
"well," tessa said, clearing her throat," it honestly wasn't that hard. i knew that either way they'd still love each other more. to be honest, i don't know why they haven't dated themselves yet. imagine that. would it be wem? willem? jill? jewill? jemill?"
magnus laughed. "why do i get the feeling you've thought about this before...?"
"shut up. how's alec?" she rushed, before magnus could make fun of her even more.

or so she thought.

"oh i'll tell you everything in a minute. but, my dear, it seems you've forgotten what i called you for. do you need a reminder?"
"ipickedwillokaybye!!!"
she hung up.

even though he knew what she said, magnus still rang her back because was she getting away that easy? oh, absolutely not.

"YOU PICKED WILL?!!"
"YES I DID OKAY? YOU HAPPY?"
"yes okay i am bye hun!!!!!!"

magnus pulled a tessa move on herself.
however clearly she was smarter than that, and she rang back immediately.

magnus did not return the call for probably an hour.

————————————