is it...me?

as it was a weekend, and she hated staying in the house on weekends, isabelle had arranged to go out with magnus for the day. she figured this way she'd gain info on his and alec's relationship and could also get a little advice on how to date simon.

simon.

simon lewis was the first person that isabelle lightwood had ever actually genuinely really really liked. sure, she'd had plenty of flings, but...this was different. izzy wasn't sure what her feelings meant, and magnus was the perfect person to ask.

oh, and alec hadn't come home that night. he must've fallen asleep at josh's. isabelle wasn't going to tell magnus this; he might take it the wrong way. which, to be fair, wasn't hard as alec adored josh, but josh was so obviously massively in love with him.

she wondered if magnus could see it, and if so what he felt about it.

"isabelle!! the door is for you!" called maryse.
izzy ran out with excitement and kissed her mum and said goodbye as she left.
"magnus! hey! how's it going!"
"not too bad! my dad's okay now. but hey, let's get to somewhere more comfortable and then we'll have our lovely long emotional sort-out."
isabelle raised an eyebrow. "what's an emotional sort-out?"
"oh- you know! when you buy tonnes of really awfully unhealthy food and eat it all whilst crying because your life is falling to literal pieces so that's why two people do it so they can hold each other?"

"uh, magnus?"
"...what?"
"...are you...ya know...alright?"
"haha! that's a funny question. the answer, of course, would be yes because i am PERFECTLY fine!"
"sure. you definitely sound it."

izzy muttered the last part under her breath.

————————

alec woke up fuzzy-eyed. once his vision returned, he realised he wasn't in his own home.

he'd fallen asleep at josh's.

oh well. alec peeled his body off the sheets and trudged downstairs, then was briefly confused as to how he got up to the bed.

the bed that belonged to josh.

alec walked into the kitchen to discover josh just standing there, staring into oblivion whilst he waited for the toast to pop up. when it did, not only did josh jump at that, but also at the realisation that alec was there.
"oh, hey! hey man! how'd you sleep?"
"didn't plan to- sorry about that. good, all things considered. i am wondering though, how did i get up there? i have no recollection of what happened.
"oh- you fell asleep on the couch, so i decided to be a good friend and carry you to somewhere more comfortable."

josh sounded extra proud when he made that statement.
alec was just confused.
"thank you! anyways so, i'm sorry but i should really be going."
josh mocked disgust. "without having any of my a la carte toast?"
alec laughed. "fine. two bits and then i'll go."
"done!"

—————————

isabelle regretted this decision greatly.
for a reason she was yet to learn of, once she'd received her advice on simon and had asked magnus if he was okay, he broke down.

that was half an hour ago.
he was still sobbing.

"magnus?"
he managed to try and come to a halt. "yes?"
"tell me what's wrong."
"oh it's EVERYTHING. my DAD, my FRIENDS, my BOYFRIEND, my-"
"wait a minute, what did alec do?"
magnus snuffed as izzy questioned him.
"he didn't do anything, i just really need a hug from him right now. you should know, isabelle, that i adore your brother."

izzy fought the urge to laugh. "magnus, sweetie, you've spent most of the past three months in his house."
magnus was NOT having it today.
she continued. "why are you so emotional by the way?"
magnus replied with one word.
"sleep."

he then banged his head on the table and fell asleep.
izzy had deduced that most likely, magnus was very sleep deprived. she knew exactly what to do.

"alec? alec! yes, i'm out with magnus. he fell asleep. no! of course i didn't! i think he's sleep deprived. can you please come see him? i think he wants you."

—————————

alec had been walking home when his sister rang him. it sounded like she was quite upset.
"what is it?"
"i don't know. he just- well, yeah."
alec crouched down beside his boyfriend. he looked so beautiful when he slept.
"hey baby."
magnus groaned lightly in his sleep. he moved his arm and lightly grasped alec's hand.

little gestures like those made his heart flutter.

"i'll take him home. you go, i don't know, spend some time with simon."
isabelle frowned. she was a little worried, but she knew her brother would take care of things.
"okay. love ya bro."
"love ya."

————————

alec got home with magnus. luckily no one was in. he sat him on the sofa.
"...where-? oh."
"yes, babe. you're here with me. what's wrong?"
magnus's expression darkened. "shouldn't you be with josh?"
alec was shocked. "what do you mean?"
magnus scoffed. "oh my god. don't think i don't know. that boy is so fucking in love with you. it's a wonder you guys haven't done anything about it yet. or have you?"
"magnus- no. you're wrong. josh is not in love with me. i love you."
"that doesn't mean other people don't love you."

alec was confused. "how did you get this in your head? are you drunk or something? isabelle told me you were telling her how much you loved me."
"i'm not drunk. my dad is back to his usual self. he's been throwing insults at me all week. he's got ideas in my head now. i haven't been sleeping. i'm not doing well, and you haven't noticed. because you've been busy hanging out with him."

alec was getting frustrated and angry now. "magnus! i'm allowed to spend time with my friends, alright?! and he-"
"THEN CALL HIM. CALL HIM RIGHT NOW AND ASK HIM TO CONFIRM YOU AREN'T THE REASON HE AND CAITLIN BROKE UP. CALL HIM TO CONFIRM THAT YOU AREN'T THE ONE THAT HE'S QUITE CLEARLY BEEN IN LOVE WITH FOR SO LONG."
alec felt tears burning his eyes. "why? why would you do this? why are you being so mean? i love you!"

for the second time that day magnus started crying. "i'm so sorry. i'm so, so sorry alec. i don't mean anything i say. i'm just really not in a good place right now. but what i said still stands. you need to talk to josh about his feelings for you."
alec let a few of the tears drip down his face. he felt devastated. "i'm so sorry i haven't been here for you. i will be, from now on. in fact, you know what?"
magnus looked up at alec. "what?"

alec took his boyfriend's hand, lifted him up from the sofa, and held him tight. they kissed briefly. then alec started doing something on his phone.

"hey mom?"
magnus creased his eyebrows. "what are you doing?"
"i have a question."
"go on?" magnus heard maryse reply.

"can magnus move in with us?"