by betrayal or deceit.

magnus sat alone in stunned silence. as soon as alec said "jonathan?" he'd just...bolted. where to, magnus did not know.

his dad, hearing the commotion, had trudged downstairs.
"was that your boyfriend guy?"
"uh...yeah."
"well why'd he slam the door so hard?"
"he just, he got a phone call and i guess it was someone he didn't like?"
"oh. okay."
and then he was back upstairs and into his room. magnus chuckled to himself.

for some reason he felt more alone than usual. he felt almost like he did when his mother...died.
god he missed her. she was so beautiful, like a malaikat.
alec had yelled jonathan, clearly meaning it was he who rang. but magnus was getting...an odd sensation in his stomach. like an impending doom was about to occur.

one thing was certain.
there was some secret depth to alec and jonathan's intensely, fiery, hateful relationship.

———————

josh couldn't breathe. he felt like he was dying. his heart was beating out of his chest.
not wanting poor sophie to see him upset, he ran out of the house, to the farthest point he could. to let the tsunami of tears flow.
he felt like he was overreacting.

but it's hardly overreacting when you know you're about to lose the one person you can't live without.

alec meant everything to josh. he had a substantially sized group of friends, but they weren't close.

but if there was one thing josh was, it was brave.
so, so insanely brave.
and no matter what, he was going to take any hate on his chin and bear it. he was going to be wholly honest.

he couldn't do anything else.

—————————

in other worlds, isabelle was going out with simon again. and actually looking forward to it. usually, she never gave guys another date. but simon, he was...different.

"clary, shut up."
"you totally are though!! just be honest with yourself, because i know for a fact he is mad about you."
isabelle flushed a soft pink and smiled to herself.
"see! even if you aren't saying it with words, you're saying it by your face!"
"fine. i really like him. like, a lot."
"uh huh?"
"right! that's enough! you're here to help me out for this date, not torture me."
"isabelle, you of all people do not need help regarding dates."

isabelle rolled her eyes. "so anyways, how are you and jace?"
"oh we're great. he's so kind and sweet to me."
"you deserve it," she said, linking hands with clary.

all was silent for a few moments whilst the girls pondered together.
then came jace, who acted as if bursting through a door was normal.
"did alec and josh have an argument or something?"
"why?"

jace took out his phone, and opened up a text he had just received from josh.
from Josh🏉: Hey Jace, if you see Alec please tell him to ring me or come talk to me as soon as possible. I really messed up big time, so this could well be the last time I ever communicate with you guys, but I'd just appreciate this thanks

clary thought. "i mean, i don't know what it's about, but doesn't alec hate jonathan?"
jace visibly tensed with anger. "yes, he does. why is this relevant?"
"well, i heard jonathan yelling at josh the other day. i don't know what happened or what he said, but they seemed to be arguing about something. maybe alec's mad about that?"

jace's face creased with anger even further. he seemed as if he knew something they didn't.
"i'm gonna be honest. i've been suspicious of josh for a while. i never told alec in case it was just me being overdramatic, but i've seen them talking."