Chapter Twenty :: Goodbye, Asami

You woke up to someone banging on your door. "___, are you okay?" Iruka's voice filled your ears.

You slowly sat up in your bed - seeing you were in the previous night's clothes - and slowly stood up. You walked over to the door and saw Iruka standing there in his jonin uniform. "Oh my god, ___, are you okay?" he stepped into the apartment and asked, looking at you in distress.

"I had a rough night," you muttered, closing the door after he was in your living room. "After you left, Kakashi snuck in and we got into it."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear," Iruka walked up to you and grabbed your hands gently. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really. He's an asshole." you muttered, looking at Iruka. "I'm sorry. Asami's send off must be in fifteen minutes. Let me get ready."

"It's actually in about two hours, I just figured to come by early and make us breakfast." Iruka smiled softly, which made you smile back at him.

"Thanks, Iruka. I'm gonna go shower then if that's okay."

"Oh no, you go on ahead." Iruka walked into the kitchen and pulled out eggs from the fridge. "I'll make us french toast if that's okay."

You nodded and went to the bathroom before looking at yourself in the mirror; your entire face and hair was living proof that your life was a shit show at the moment.

You wiped your face down with wet wipes before hopping into the shower. The water and soap suds ran down your body as you quickly washed your insecurities and sins away. When you hopped out, you wrapped your hair up and threw a robe on before taking in a smell of cinnamon. You smiled and walked into the kitchen, seeing Iruka platting up some french toast. He looked at you before turning red and looked away. "Umm, ___, you don't have clothes on." he pointed out the obvious.

"I know." You came up behind him and wrapped your arms around his waist, resting your head against his shoulder. "Smells good."

"Y-Yeah. It does." Iruka stuttered out. You were kinda weirded out by his reaction and left the kitchen to your bedroom, where you changed into your jonin uniform and pulled your hair into a bun. When you were tying your headband on, you walked out of your room to see Iruka had already set up the table and condiments.

"You didn't have any orange juice, so is apple okay?" he asked, looking at you.

"Yes, apple is fine. Thank you." you smiled and walked over. Before Iruka could do anything else, you planted a soft kiss on his lips, feeling him return it back and place his hands on your cheeks.

"Let's eat before we get carried away," you joked, watching his face turn red.

"R-Right." he chuckled nervously, which made you confused. You brushed it off and sat down - Iruka sitting across from you - and began eating. It wasn't the best french toast you had (not enough cinnamon) but you appreciated Iruka for making breakfast.

"Let's get going before we miss her send off." Iruka looked at the time and stood up. You got up after chugging the rest of the juice and followed him out to the gates of the village, where the send off was located.

***

When you two arrived, you saw Miyuki there, along with your team and Kakashi's team. Kakashi was not there, however (which you expected cause he's always late or never on time).

You walked over to Hideyoshi and Eiji, who were hugging Asami goodbye. "Sensei!" you heard the three of them exclaim before they all hugged you.

"Our team won't be the same without Asami here." You heard Hideyoshi say, which you witness bring tears to Asami's eyes.