Part II, Chapter 9: Days of Heat, Nights of Blood

Afon was fuming once the story was done, his mouth covered and his feet bouncing. Felix looked shocked, to say the least.

"They are keeping a people enslaved in our very midst," Afon repeated in disbelief.

"That's what Nadia told me, yes," the collie said.

"Are you sure you'd want to confirm that the peace we thought Lusitania established was actually a successful military conquest against a whole people?" Felix gravely wanted to reconfirm, still in a slight disbelief. "My father had done trade with the Nadia you speak of, if she is here, and I knew how she and her people suddenly went out of relevance not too long ago."

"That's exactly why," Cameron nodded. "I think it's true."

"The amazing part is that I think you're right," Felix nodded.

"God help us," Afon repeated.

"God help us," Cameron followed.

"What are you all asking help for?" the fox governor asked, overhearing the last bit of the conversation, approaching the table.

"For the voyage back," Felix answered, lifting his chin and facing the fox, who was clearly intimidated by the royal presence, an answer easy enough to be believed.

"We were wondering, however, if we could stay the night in this beautiful colony," the Cambrian knight barked. "The people seem friendly, and I'm sure that it would be a delightful time, wouldn't you think, Felix?" he asked, and gave the royal lion a sure look.

"Yes, I'd say so," the King replied, realizing the Cambrian knight was likely planning something in his corgi head. Cameron realized this, too, and respectfully kept himself silent.

"In that case, Your Highness, and Sir Afon, you and your men are all welcome. Please enjoy your stay," the fox said, as he departed, delighted that he had such noble company. This Lusitanian colony was panning out to be a success so far. He hoped his own king would reward him greatly, especially when presented with the canine cargo they would eventually load up.

"I'm guessing you've got a plan?" Felix asked Afon.

"Indeed I do, Your Highness," Afon growled, his fist clenching, images of home coming to mind. "We will make Lusitania pay for these crimes, this vital peace having been broken in hunger for power. There's a lot of things I'd suggest you'd do, Felix, but this is what I think we should do tonight in particular. I hate waging war," he sighed, "but... here's what I'm thinking..."

The plan was laid out, discussed by all three.

It was the nighttime now. The moon rose high over the shore, the ocean clear in sight. The men of the crew resided on the ship, sleeping there, while the knights of Valentia slept in a large, shared tent, each with their own sleeping-places. Afon, however, was wide awake, and presently made his way over to this mentioned tent.

"Go to the ship, grab your armor and weapons. We go to war as soon as possible, men," he quivered as he ordered. "Felix has made his way to the ship, and is hiding in the storage compartment. Do not reveal his location, even if your life depends on it. For that is the duty of knights like you," he said softly. "Now go, quietly, so we don't alert anyone of concern. We will have an unexpected ally, so... grab and holster as much of the stock of weapons as you can, so they may wield them as well. Come back here, afterwards."

Once the Valentian knights did this, without question, the corgi knight then turned to Cameron, the other armed men behind them. "Lead the way, Cameron, to where you found the wild-dogs," he instructed, although he hated calling them that.