Part III, Chapter 9: The Accolade

It was early in the morning that Cameron was awoken by a couple of firm, loud knocks at the door. Having bathed a little late the night before, he felt fresher than usual, and was ready to answer these knocks. Mentally, at least; he was still nude. While getting his clothes on, getting distracted by the sight of himself in the mirror, another knock came along.

It probably had something to do with the fact that it was his birthday.

"Cameron, wake up," Ophelia said outside the door. This very door was thus opened, and the collie stood. He was shocked... by the presence of at least five knights behind the Queen he served.

"Am I in trouble?" the dog gulped.

"On the contrary," the Queen replied, with a sweet meow. "Please. Come to the throne room. A birthday surprise awaits you, although it's less of a gift, and more of a... well, you'll see." She excitedly smiled, and the knights nodded.

They all made their way through the halls and to the throne room. There, it seemed, was anyone and everyone from the castle. Marco and Lætitia held their hands, as they stood in the front of the crowd, closest to the kingly throne. Felix was sitting on this throne, but then stood, as soon as he saw the arrival of both his Queen and the collie.

He had a grandiose, gold-crested sword, clearly for ceremony, tightly clutched in his right hand.

"Oh... no," the dog nervously whined, out of earshot of the Queen. He saw this intimidating blade, and thought the worst, in his as of yet half-awake mind. Apparently, he had overstayed his welcome.

"Kneel," the King directed. Cameron knelt, following this order. He was nervous. He was at the very mercy of the King of Valentia. "Do you have any remarks to make before this commences?" the lion asked, in a low, grave tone. The entire ceremony seemed grave and solemn, leading the collie to confirm his own conclusion.

He shook, and barked out, as bravely as he could. "I beg for mercy!" he sniffled, and bowed his head.

"...What in God's name do you think is happening here, Cameron?!" Marco blurted in amused disbelief after a few moments of confusion.

"I don't know, what do you think the sword's for, Marco?!" the collie looked up as he yelped.

Lætitia unintentionally snorted with laughter, and even Felix cracked a smile.

"In the name of God, Saint George, and Saint Michael," an ursine guard gave a proper hint at the matter.

The light of realization arrived to the collie's face when he heard this.

The King raised his blade, and gently tapped the canine's shoulders, feeling so enlightened by the collie's presence as he did. He wished he had half as pure a heart as him. It was right about now that Cameron realized death was not upon him, yet he was still unsure of what would be.

"In the name of God, Saint George and Saint Michael," Felix recited, "I raise you to the rank of Knight. Never shall an armed hand harm you without Valentia's swift response. Rise, Sir Cameron! For a knight is born."

Cameron stood, and struggled to keep his eyes from tearing up as he heard the last few words.

"And now, the sword of your brethren in arms, for use in justice and righteousness," Felix briefly directed to the knights, pointing their swords in a pattern, before handing the dog a similar one. "You are on your birthday a man now older than I was when I married. By royal decree and will, then, you are decidedly now one of the most virtuous ones in the land."

Presently, Sir Cameron turned around, and held his sword high with the other present knights, feeling his heart rise.

~