Part IV, Chapter 6: Fireworks, and what they led to

The King's ship finally docked into the bay of Venetia in the mid-morning, two days after this sudden hold of sorrow. There was much cheering amongst the awaiting crowd, but a knight informed them all that the King had been in no shape to present his own majesty, preferring to wait until there wasn't a crowd. Quite a few left, with the apparent cancellation of the King's appearance, but some stayed, knowing that Felix had to face the day one way or another.

After a time, when some convincing must have ensued, the crew walked out first, grateful that it was a fairly short distance. It at least gave Cameron time to reflect on the nights and days preceding, cooped up in his room. Indeed, the young canine had spent thinking the time away after having his share of wallowing. Stepping out from the ship, he at first shielded the light of the sun away from his face. He remembered what goodness it brought, though, and knew from his reading that he should be grateful to embrace it and be here. When he proudly let his hand down and looked around, he saw only friendly faces greet him. People called to him by name, having heard of his works and dealings, and he even had the honor of signing and dedicating a few copies of what he recognized as his own works. It was strange to receive this amount of attention, as so many people scrambled his way first, before greeting the King behind him.

He only looked back a few times at Felix, who followed quite far behind, but from what he could see, he had left him in poor shape. His hair was a mess, his mane uncombed. He was a shaggy, freshly-woken lion, excused only by his clothes in looking elegant. That wasn't true, though. Cameron realized that it was only his own fault for having said so hostile of a thing to him. He was still very handsome, too, at that, no matter how ragged he looked. He almost got lost in his own wonder of whether or not he felt the same, before keeping his own mind in check once more, knowing now more than ever that this was vain.

The lion was deaf to the joyous praise of the people around, so much within his own sorrow, but his mood lightened the slightest bit when he saw that his knight was not as distraught as him. Oh, how vibrant the dog was, and what fame he now received that he deserved. He was tempted to accompany him closer, but he knew how he felt about that now. It still felt so sharp, remembering those words.

When the party finally arrived to the small but royally prepared inn that the King and company would be staying in, Felix made no effort to look around, nor did he think it appropriate to talk to Cameron yet. All he wanted was rest, and a temporary peace of mind. He stepped into the room, admired the afternoon from his window for a bit, and then hefted himself onto his bed, sleeping for a while. He was just grateful he was on land again.

Felix woke up in the middle of the night, from the relieving slumber he'd been taking since the afternoon, hearing a sudden explosion, and sensing a bright flash. God, what was this? In his half-awake state of mind, he wondered if this was an attempt on his life. He scrambled, almost nude, out of bed, only throwing his bedsheets around himself. He looked out into the evening, from his window. All seemed peaceful, until—

Another bright flash along the horizon, with subsequent cheering. Cheering? What was the cheering for? Surely, no such explosion could bring cheering. Were these people excited for what must have been a war? Dumbfounded, the King ran to the first person who came to mind, regardless of the drama before, which he found irrelevant now.

"Cameron. Cameron!" he yowled frightenedly. "What's going on out there?!"

The collie in question was simply staring out the window he was facing, watching what he knew were these fireworks he'd read about in books. The dog gasped, and blushed, hearing the King come all of a sudden into his room. "Felix. What are you so frightened for? And I thought you weren't talking to me? After what I said to you?"