Part IV, Chapter 5: Something Impossible

"What, then, did you and the Pope actually talk about?" Cameron suddenly asked Felix, who was standing at the ship's side, watching the vessel pass securely through the small natural canal often went through to avoid having to sail around Sicily.

"Nothing too interesting, like he said. Just about the state of the nations we know," the King replied. "Mainly just to check in. It's just a royal thing. I do appreciate what he said, though. You are a knight, through and through."

"I still can't believe I actually saw him," the collie borked in disbelief, looking along the dimly-lit shores of Napolia on both of their sides.

"You had just as much of a right to come as my other knights," Felix nodded. "And you haven't even seen Venetia, yet, where we're actually staying."

"Yeah. When are we all going to be arriving, at this pace?" Cameron asked.

"Soon, soon. It should only be another day or two," the King sighed. "We are certainly going to enjoy ourselves there, too."

"We are?" Cameron chuckled, and looked away. "Would you want to word that better?"

"No. How come?" Felix wondered, tilting his head. "It's as much your special vacation as it is mine. I thought of you in particular when I arranged it," he admitted, not realizing the sentiment.

The collie's smile suddenly faded. "Stop, Your Highness," he said, just as quickly.

This sudden, cold wording made Felix's stomach turn, and his own expression suddenly turned to one of confusion. "Stop what?"

"All this 'we' stuff. You're saying that like it's just you and me," Cameron stated lowly.

"And you don't like that? I thought you enjoyed my company. Especially since you showed me how to not be a stuck-up and spoilt king," Felix chuckled. "I like being with you, you know."

Cameron thought of his own matters. Of course, he didn't mean what he said next, but knew that knights like him, as well as any other good, faithful people, were supposed to be on guard, even from places you least expected. And he knew it would be a good defense of his own secret, or so he initially evaluated. "No. If this is about anything more than my knighthood," he warned, "then I think you should reevaluate your priorities as king."

A drawn out silence followed, with the lion's realization of what had just been said.

"I don't know whether that was you or Iago talking, right then, but I understand," Felix then murmured resolutely, his eyes closed so tightly that his tears couldn't escape, and turned, quickly departing.

Cameron turned to immediately apologize, but the lion had already dashed down inside, heading to his room. Such an innocent sentiment, put down by such a callous, over-cautious remark. It crumbled even the largest of men sometimes. Cameron had as good of aim with words as he did with an arrow, but he aimed for too vulnerable a spot.

That wasn't the main reason Felix closed himself off in his room and cried, however. He knew that his dreams, however little of hope he had for them, had been crushed, and had now paid the price of the respect of his best knight, and most treasured friend. He couldn't cry now, but he couldn't help it, covering his face with his thick, fluffed paws.

What Felix feared most was the bond between a king and knight growing far too close for what was right, and yet nothing could compare to the warmth he felt whenever that canine spoke, even when saying words that pierced his breast like icicles. Ever since Cameron's accolade, Felix felt so much further compelled to make his sentiment known. Now that he did, it led only to bitterness.

Try as he might, whenever Felix nightly laid himself down with his dearest wife, his mind drifted, right to that dog. Why was Cameron always in his dreams, as well as his waking mind? Why were they so vivid?

Thus, the mighty King Felix of Valentia was reduced to nothing but a lethargic, heartbroken, pretty-maned lump. Little did he know, though, that a collie had been sobbing much harder, regretting his own words. Now Cameron was curled up into a ball, snout between his legs, as he shook his head, resting in lament.

He so often tried to convince himself that this would pass. Really, he'd thought that Felix was handsome since he first met him, and when all the initial drama had cooled over, the collie knew his King was a most kind one. Then, though, it all happened for him sometime during the spring. Something about seeing that lion coming out of the winter, and growing his mane out for the new season, and emerging from a cocoon of winter withdrawal to a glorious paschal sheen.

But it wasn't just the mane, of course. Everything about Felix was so breathtakingly wonderful. The way he spoke. The shape of his snout. The glimmer in his sky-blue eyes. The way he was so sweetly held after having nearly fainted was so fond of a memory, but just about any interaction with him became more and more worth their time in gold.

The way Felix loved Ophelia, with all his heart, was especially admirable. Bless her soul a hundredfold, Cameron thought. Who was he to be so jealous of the Queen, of all people?! The very Queen that had chosen him, above others, to serve her? It was a betrayal to spite her like that!

And yet, Cameron huddled up to his blanket, where he still imagined gruffs and growlings in his ear. This is what the canine did this night, as well, softly shuddering until he went to sleep.

It was a mystery to the other knights and the ship's crew, as to why neither of these two came out of their respective rooms. A few knights tried to console their collie comrade, but without him telling what the matter was, there wasn't a good way to do so. They then consulted the King himself, in just as vain of an attempt. He wouldn't answer, either sleeping or gently growling and mumbling behind the door.

A few more days passed, with Venetia coming closer and closer. It seemed as if they'd never amicably arrive.