Part IV, Chapter 2: Twin Penance

"I've committed sin I'd rather disclose to God first, before I tell you," Felix sounded sure with this wording, as he looked in the mirror, trying to look his best for so sacred a deed, "no offense."

"And when will you go?" the Queen asked with a purr, after having asked what he was getting so done up for. "I didn't know you cared so much for such a holy affair, to spend a bit of your busied day to go to Confession," she teased, knowing her husband's typically lazy habits.

"Today, right now, and that's why I'm glad you agreed to brush my mane," the King replied. He was eager to regain his peace with God, and peace with himself.

"It's never any trouble, dear. You know how much I like it," Ophelia encouraged, which, unbeknownst to her, made the other lion feel all the more guilty.

It had been a week since their anniversary, though longer since Felix had first thought of the matter he became so concerned with. Truly, it recurred to him every day, and every night, persisting in his mind until he could bear it no longer, and then some. It nagged at him. Why couldn't it go away? This was the solution he saw fit. Once he deemed himself to be all ready, he stepped out into the garden, and walked for a while. Cameron awaited the Queen, ready to once again play for her for her amusement.

"A fine morning, Felix!" the collie greeted with a light bark, and a charming grin.

"Surely, it is. I've got to go, though," the royal lion answered, and waved goodbye, following the guarded stone path to the town streets.

"And what for?" Cameron then asked, to the Queen he awaited, who followed shortly after.

"'What for' what, exactly? Oh, you mean Felix. He's going to the Church, confessing something," Ophelia answered. "Actually bothering going, apparently. But play a song for me, for the moment. Don't worry about anything as grave as that on this wonderful spring day," the Queen smiled, having learned to appreciate these days like this since this little musician friend came along.

The door that lied behind the ornate woven mesh that separated the confessor and priest opened with a slide. The silhouette of a slim ferret's face appeared on the other side, one of Iago's favorite apprentice-priests. Byssus knew the confessor was His Highness, but wouldn't dare give such an identification during this private rite. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just, and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness," the ferret gave his Johannine introduction.

"Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned," the King replied as he crossed himself. I have been indulgent in food and drink. I have been needlessly occupied on the Sabbath Day. I could say my materialistic desires often take priority over my love of God," the King stopped a bit after saying this, hesitant.

"Anything else?" the ferret asked, noting this hesitation.

Felix gulped, and then mewled a secret of damnation.

The ferret offered this as the penance: "Eat not too much, drink not too much. Worry yourself not on Sundays, nor should you burden yourself too much on any other day. Keep God in your heart and in your mind. As for the last sin you mention: Cast it from your thoughts and from your life. Now, say an Act of Contrition."

"O, my God, I am most sorry for offending you, and detest all my sins, because I fear the loss of Heaven and the fires of Hell, but most of all because they offended you, my God, who is all good and deserving of all my heart. I firmly resolve with the help of your grace to confess, do penance, and amend my soul," the lion finished the short message, though he feared he may have misspoken a few times. "Amen."

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good," the ferret priest said.

"For His mercy endures always," the King finished the Psalm's tract as a part of this strict final exchange.