Remedial Goodness and Potions

I am still brooding about having to go to school when we have to listen to FGM quiz us on being good.  I put my feet on the table and lean my head back, sighing.

  I put my feet on the table and lean my head back, sighing

"Someone is bullying a little kid.  Do you A: Laugh and watch, B: Join in, C: Ignore them and walk away, or D: Stop the bully and tell a teacher?"  My mind immediately wanders to Celia Facilier, who is like a little sister to me.  Her father, Dr. Facilier, is my father's good friend.  I remember how we became friends- she was being bullied and I chased the bullies away.

"Madison?"  FGM's perky voice brings me back to class.  I lift my head, "D: Stop the bully and tell a teacher."  She smiles, "Correct.  Very good."

I roll my eyes and mouth to myself mockingly and tip my head back.

"If someone hands you a crying baby. Do you: A: Curse it, B: Lock it in a tower, C: Give it a bottle, or D: Carve out its heart?"  My mouth drops slightly open.  We might be cruel and evil, but who would do such things to a baby?  Evie raises her hand and FGM smiles, "Evie?"

"What was the second one?"  I nudge her, shaking my head.  Apparently she would.

"Okay...Mal?"

Mal looks up from her amazing sketch of the wand, "C: Give it a bottle."  FGM smiles, "Correct.  Again."

"You are on fire, ladies," Carlos admires.  I shrug, "It's easy."  Mal nods, "Yeah.  Just pick the one that doesn't sound like any fun."

"Ohhhh," Jay and Carlos nod.

"That makes a lot of sense," Evie smiles.

Mal fake-gasps and nods.  I lean my head back and catch sight of a girl with a short, neat haircut staring at me.  Too school-girl and preppy.  I sit properly and turn in my seat to get a better look at her.  When she realizes I'm staring back, she squeals fearfully and quickly walks down the aisle.

"Hello dear one," FGM smiles at her.  Mal nudges Evie who looks up at the girl.  "Hi, you need to sign off on early dismissal for the coronation," the girl says, her eyes never leaving us and her voice shaky.

I wiggle my fingers at the girl with a little smile and she wiggles hers back, chuckling nervously.  I drop my hand as FGM addresses us, "Everyone here remembers my daughter, Jane?"  Jane fiercely hisses, "Mom, no!"  I grin and chuckle quietly as I turn properly in my seat.  "It's okay.  Jane, this is everyone."  I can hear FGM whisper to Jane, "Madison is especially nice, dear.  Be friendly."

She lightly pushes Jane forward and she gasps fearfully, "Hi. That's okay, don't mind me. As you were."  She slightly bows and squeals as she rushes by us.  I lean forward to look at Mal, who winks.  She could be our ticket to the wand.  FGM clears her throat, "Let's continue. You find a vial of poison. Do you A: put it in the king's wine? B: paint it on an apple? Or C: turn it over to the proper authorities?"

Evie and the boys raise their hand.  Jay tries to put Carlos's hand down and raises his hand higher.  FGM points to him, "Jay."

"C. You turn it over to the proper authorities." Jay smirks.  "I was gonna say that," Carlos whines.  "But I said it first.  Come here!"  Jay puts Carlos in a headlock and starts to noogie him.  Soon, it turns into a wrestling match on the table.

I roll my eyes and stare at my nails as FGM tries to get the boys' attention, "Boys!  I am going to encourage you to use that energy on the tourney field."  Carlos instantly looks scared, "Oh no, that's okay.  Whatever that is, we'll-" He pushes Jay off him, "We'll pass."

I roll my eyes again, "Is it only for boys?"  FGM nods sadly, "I'm afraid so.  But!  There's a gymnastic team that has tournaments and cheer-leading!"  I make a face, "I'm no cheerleader.  Gymnastics sounds fun."  FGM smiles and dismisses us.  I pull Evie up, "My roommate, Rachel, is going to show us to our Potions class."

Rachel introduces us to the teacher, Mr. Delay.  He doesn't seem too pleased to have us.  Rachel and I sit together next to Evie.  However, halfway through the lesson, her attention goes to the blonde boy in front of her, "Any chance he's in line for a throne? Anywhere in line?"

Doug sighs and replies, "Prince Charming, Jr. Cinderella's son. Chad inherited the charm, but not a lot of there there, you know what I mean?"  Rachel quietly snorts and whispers, "I quite agree.  He's my ex-boyfriend.  We broke up a year ago.  Take my advice- don't chase after him and don't let him draw you in.  He's the biggest jerk ever and a total...just don't, Evie, okay?  You can do so much better."

"Looks like there there to me," Evie says dreamily.  I scoff and Rachel rolls her eyes, "She's falling for it."

"Evie."  Mr. Delay's voice startles all four of us.  "Perhaps this is just review for you. So, tell me, what is the average atomic weight of silver?"  Evie looks startled and chuckles nervously, "Um...well...not very much.  I mean- it's an atom, right?"  Chad chuckles and Mr. Delay beckons for her to step up to the board.  She discreetly picks up her magic mirror and walks to the board.

She picks up a piece of chalk, "Let's see. How do I find the average atomic weight of silver? That would be 106.905 times .5200, plus 108.905 times .4800, which, Mr. delay, would give us 107.9 am.."  Doug mouths, "Amu?"  Mr. Delay looks impressed and shell-shocked, "I forget.  Always a mistake to underestimate..."

I speak up, "A villain?"  He looks uncomfortable and shuffles slightly.  Evie and I say at the same time, "Don't make it again."  As Evie passes Chad's seat, he gives her a piece of paper.  She sits down and reads the note.  She looks at him and nods.  She turns and hisses, "He asked me on a date!  He likes me!"  Rachel nods but I can tell she doesn't believe it.

  She turns and hisses, "He asked me on a date!  He likes me!"  Rachel nods but I can tell she doesn't believe it

I nod a little for Evie's benefit but I make a face at Rachel.  I can't understand why she's settling for...not even mediocre.

not even mediocre