New Life

Madison's realistic outfit

I leave the locker room from gymnastic practice and almost run into Jane

I leave the locker room from gymnastic practice and almost run into Jane.  "Oh, sorry, Jane!"  Jane waves me off with a wide grin, "You're totally fine.  I wasn't paying attention."  Jane is much nicer to us VKs.  Actually, most people are much nicer to us.  It's been six months since we first arrived to Auradon.  I am totally enjoying it.  Rachel and I are best friends, but Jane is my second best friend.  She's really nice, but they both can be pretty annoying about how Carlos and I could be "such an adorable couple!"

I don't know if I feel that way about Carlos.  Sure, we're pretty close...but would I ever want him as a boyfriend?

Answer- I have absolutely no clue.

"Whatcha got there?"  She shows me the tablet she's holding, "Ben's gift to Mal.  Gorgeous, right?!"

I nod, "Beautiful."  Jane nods, giggling, "I can't wait for Mal to see it.  I have to go ask her a few more questions for decorating committee.  Can you believe Audrey would up and leave for a spa vacation of all things when we need her the most?  Now I'm stuck with the decorating committee and Nathaniel hasn't asked me to Cotillion yet!"

I laugh at Jane's ranting.  Nathaniel is Prince Naveen and Princess Tiana's son.  She has a crush on him and is praying he will ask her to Cotillion.  I put my hand on her shoulder, "Look, put me on the committee and I'll help you.  It'll be fine.  And I'm sure Nathan will ask you to Cotillion soon."  I look past her and grin, "Speak of the devil and he shall appear."

"Huh?"  She turns and her mouth drops open when she sees Nathan behind her.  "Hey Jane.  Can I talk to you for a minute?"  She nods and he pulls her gently to the side.  I walk away, having no real destination in mind.  Just when I decide to go find Mal and the others, Jane rushes up next to me, squealing.

"He asked me!  He asked me and I said yes!"  I grin and hug her, "Congrats, Jane!  Let's go find Mal and the others so we can ask her whatever questions you have."  She nods, "Okay."  We walk across the courtyard and stop in front of Mal and the other VKs.

"Mal!" Jane says.  Carlos turns to me, "Hey Maddy."  I grin, "Hey."

"I was wondering...uh...if you liked the....carrot cake last night.  I know it's your favorite."

I pull my hair back into a careless ponytail, "I had the pumpkin pie.  Jane convinced me to try something new.  But carrot cake will still always be my favorite."  "Oh, uh...cool.  Um..."

Jay outs his arm around Carlos's shoulders, "Smooth.  Excuse us, Madison."  I shrug and step aside for them.  Evie says, "I have an opening for a fitting at 3:00. Who wants it?"  My fitting was for 2:00, so I remained silent.  Jane opened her mouth but Lonnie yelled, "Me!"  She turns to Jane, "Sorry."

Evie nods, "Perfect. I'll take you later."  Jane approaches Mal, "Mal?  I hate to keep bugging you, but the decorating committee needs more answers. So, as much as I hate to, um... you know, um..."  I nudge her, "Bug her."

Jane nods, "Right."  Mal smiles kindly, "Yeah, Jane, I would love to. I just have to get to class."  She tries to step by her, but Jane blocks her path, "You know, just nod if you like it."  Mal looks defeated, "Okay."  I cringe and mouth "Sorry" as Jane launches into her ideas, "Chair swags. Entry banner. Twinkle lights. Napkin design. Table bunting."  Mal nods to all of them and Jane continues, "And you still haven't picked the party favors yet."

Mal shrugs, "Honestly, Jane, whatever you think-"  Jane doesn't hear her over her everlasting ideas, "I mean, we can do chains, key charms, pen toppers. I kind of love the pen toppers- but, I mean, we can do all three."  I gently put a hand on Jane's wrist, "Jane, how about we just-"  Mal's eyes flash green and we both shut up.  Jane chuckles nervously as Mal opens her eyes, "I say pen toppers."

Jane grins, "Yeah?"  Mal nods, "Yeah."  Jane checks it off her tablet, "You won't regret it."  Lonnie and Evie pop up again and Lonnie excitedly says, "I can hardly wait to see what your wedding will look like!" I blink and Mal smiles dreamily, "Me, too."

Then, Lonnie's words sink in, "Wait! What?!"  Jane looks surprised, "The Royal Cotillion is like getting engaged to be engaged to be engaged."  Evie beams, "I knew it!"  Lonnie says, "Well, everyone knows it."  My mouth drops open, "I didn't!"  Mal is more shocked than me, "I didn't know it, either! How come nobody told me that? Is my entire life just planned out in front of me-"

Ben appears behind Mal, "Hi, Mal."  Lonnie, Jane and Evie chorus, "Hi, Ben."  I tilt my head, "Hey Ben."  I turn on my heels, "I'm gonna go lay down before the boys' fencing meet, okay, Jane?"  Evie grabs my wrist, "Not so fast.  Guess what time it is."

"Uhh...time for me to sleep?"  "It's 2:00.  You, missy, have a Cotillion fitting.  Chad is stopping by to get his cape done after your fitting so...time's a wasting."  I groan as she drags me away.

Mal and Evie's dorm

Evie tightens the straps to my dress and I wince at how tight it is.

"Evie...can't breathe."  She loosen the straps and I sigh in relief.  "So...have you found a date yet?"  Evie casually asks as she takes in the hems.

"No...I guess I'm going solo."  Evie takes a pin out of her mouth, "Is that what you want?"

"What I want...I can't have."  Evie knows from my tone not to press me.  She continues to fix the dress while I stand as still as possible.

What I want...is to see my father again.

A/N- Nathaniel's face claim is Franz Dameh.