Potions and Video Chat

I follow Rachel, Evie, and Doug into Potions class.  Rachel is still tickled by Ben's outrageous confession on the tourney field.  "It was just soooo hilarious!"  She bursts into another fit of giggles and puts her head on the table, shoulders shaking.

I notice Evie scrambling through her purse.  "E, what's wrong?"  Before she can answer, Mr. Delay walks up behind Chad, holding Evie's mirror.  "Looking for something?"  Evie looks terrified as he continues, "Thank you, Chad. It's gratifying to see someone still respects the honor code. It will be my recommendation that you are expelled."

Rachel glares daggers at Chad who just winks.  She raises her fist and I pull her arm down, smiling sweetly at Mr. Delay and mouth, "Sorry.  Angry ex-girlfriend."

Evie stammers, "Mr. Delay, I-"

Doug defends her, "But that isn't fair. Obviously she wasn't cheating since she didn't have that... whatever it is."  Evie explains, "It's a magic mir-"

Doug cuts her off, "You're not helping. Stop."  He turns back to Mr. Delay, "Maybe she needed another pencil."

Evie pipes up, "Actually, I was-"  I cover her mouth and Doug mouths "Thank you," before telling her, "Really, don't help."  He looks at Mr. Delay, "Please."

I remove my hand and Evie begs, "Please."  Mr. Delay sighs, "Well...if you can pass this test, I'll return your property and let the matter drop."  I breathe an audible sigh of relief and Chad smirks.  Rachel pretends to slice her throat and I chuckle before hissing, "Worthless punk."

The next day

I rotate my black and red ring on my pointer ring and let the light reflect on the gems.  It was a gift from Dad on my 13th birthday.  Needless to say, he stole it before he was sent to the Isle.

Evie watches me and grins, "You love roses?"  I nod, "Yeah, why?"  She shrugs but her face gives away her excitement, "Just inspiration

Evie watches me and grins, "You love roses?"  I nod, "Yeah, why?"  She shrugs but her face gives away her excitement, "Just inspiration."  I shrug and trace my sleeve.

FGM clears her throat, "Children, excuse me

FGM clears her throat, "Children, excuse me. Um, as you know, uh, this Sunday is family day here at Auradon Prep. And because your parents can't be here due to...uh...distance, we've arranged for a special treat."  She skips to a flat screen TV and turns it on.  Our parents' faces appear.  Maleficent, Jafar, Evil Queen, Cruella...and my dad.  I'm twitching in my seat, waiting to jump up.

Maleficent's face is blocking almost the whole screen, "I don't see anything, nor do I hear."  FGM waves for us to step up.  I jump up, almost knocking over my chair.  Carlos chuckles at my excitement.  He's holding Dude and I'm anxious to see what his mother has to say about that.

"Is it... is it... is..." Maleficent struggles with the computer.  I can hear my father's exasperated voice say, "Just press enter."  Maleficent ignores him- not a surprise- "Can I please see a remote? Is this thing on? Ugh, It's broken. Ugh! I hate electronic equip... Oh!"

I guess they could see us.  Dad grins his Mad Hatter grin, as I call it.

EQ cries, "Evie, It's mommy."  Evie smiles and waves, "Oh! Look how beautiful. Oh, you know what they say, the poison apple doesn't fall far from the tree."  I roll my eyes and Maleficent grumbles, "Don't you mean the weeds?"

Cruella gets closer to the screen, "Ooh! Who's the old bat?"  I cringe and Mal says, "This is Fairy Godmother."  Maleficent snickers, "Still doing tricks with eggplants?" 

Fairy Godmother's mouth drops open, "I turned a pumpkin into a beautiful carriage."  Maleficent laughs with the other villains- even my dad half smiles- "You really couldn't give Cinderella till one A.M.? I mean, really. What- the hamsters had to be back on their little wheels?"

FGM is close to losing her cool, "They were mice! They were not..."  She turns to us reassuringly, "They were mice. They were not..."

We nod and I beckon for her to step back.  She leans into the screen and hisses, "They were mice."  Mal smiles tightly, "Hi, mom." 

Maleficent yells, "Mal!"  EQ nudges her and she stammers, "I m-m-miss you."  Jafar adds, "You children are never far from our thoughts."

I nod and Dad discreetly waves.  I cross my fingers and wink- we always do that.  It doesn't mean anything.  It's just fun.

"How long must mommy wait to see you?"  Mal stiffens, "Um, there's a big coronation coming up. I think sometime probably after... that."  Maleficent perks up, "When?"  Mal quickly replies, "Friday, 10 A.M."

"You sure I can't see you before that? I don't know what I'll do If I don't get my hands on that magic wan- "  Dad nudges her this time, "You, you little nugget that I love so much."  I snicker quietly and Mal nods slowly, "Yes, I completely understand, mother."  Dad finally has a chance to speak up, "How are you, Madison?"  I grin, "I'm fine, Dad."  I want to tell him how much I miss him, but Cruella beats me to it.

"Carlos, is that a dog?"  I wince.  Never mind, I don't wanna see Ms. Creepy's reaction.  She scares Carlos half to death...and she is pretty creepy.  "Oh, yes, yes, baby, I do understand. It would make the perfect size for earmuffs."  My mouth drops open and I'm about to defend him when Carlos step up.

"He's the perfect size for a pet!"  Cruella jumps back, "Oh!"  My eyes widen so much, it actually hurts.  Carlos is sticking up for himself...against his mother.

"This dog loves me, and I love him. And FYI, your dog is stuffed!  So give it a rest!"

Cruella pouts and Jafar laughs.  Dad can't help but cackle.  Jafar snickers, "Oh!  Burn!"  I mentally face-palm.  Remind me never to say "burn" in front of Jafar.  

Ever.

"Oh! Why don't you go sell a toaster, you two-bit salesman!"  Cruella snaps.  Jafar counters, "People who talk to stuffed animals shouldn't throw stones."
"Well, people who sell toasters shouldn't use mixed metaphors!"

Maleficent snaps, "Enough!"  Jay reaches to turn the TV off and Dad crosses his fingers and winks at me before the screen turns black.  My heart sinks and I absentmindedly twirl my ring.

I forgot FGM was still in the room, "I'm so sorry."  Jay sighs, "Thanks for the special treat."  Fairy Godmother nods, "Of course." 

We leave the Remedial Goodness 101 class, but stop in the doorway when Evie says, "M? What do you think our parents are gonna do to us?  If we don't pull this off?"
Mal sighs, "I think they will be quietly disappointed in us, but ultimately...proud of us for doing our best."  Carlos looks half doubtful, half hopeful, "Really?"  Mal shakes her head, "No, I think we are definitely goners."  

I know my dad couldn't care less if we took over Auradon.  But- and I would never admit this to anyone- Maleficent scares me so much and I shudder to think of suffering from her wrath if we don't succeed.

There's a mumbled "Yeah" and we leave to go plot our wicked plan.