Chillin Like A Villain

"Jay, keys.  Remote," Ben tosses Jay the items.  I am not excited to go back to the Isle.  If I run into Celia, Gwen- daughter of Madame Gothel, or my dad...I will never want to leave.  I fix my jacket and my black fishnet beanie.

  I fix my jacket and my black fishnet beanie

"Wait! Something's wrong," Evie says.  We glance around.  Now what?

She fixes Ben's beanie and we sigh in relief, "There." 

"Shotgun!"  We all look down at Dude.  Oh yeah...forgot he could talk.  Carlos says firmly, "No, Dude. Stay. The Isle is way too dangerous."  Dude grumbles and Jay points to him, "Did he just..."

"Talk? Yeah. I know. We'll tell you later.  Let's go," I say.  Jay nods and we pile into the limo.  Jay is in front while we're in the back.  Evie says, "Okay, once we cross the bridge, park under the pier in the old garage. Got it?"  Jay nods, "Got it."

We drive across the bridge and park under the pier.  We tumble out and Carlos says, "Jay, Maddy, help me with the tarp."  We cover up the limo and Evie says, "It's really weird being back here."  Jay assures her, "We'll get in and get out."

I turn to Carlos, "Carlos?"  He nods, "Yeah?"  I take a deep breath, "Please don't let me go anywhere without you or someone else.  If I run into Celia, Gwen, or my dad..."  My voice trails off.  He knows me well enough to know what I mean.

"I promise," he says.  I nod and I notice Ben walking towards a tunnel, "Hey, what's in here?"  I rush towards him and pull him back, hissing, "Ben!"  Jay shakes his head, "You don't want to know."  Carlos says, "Hey, guys. Keep it chill, all right? The last thing we need is our parents figuring out we're here."

We walk down the streets and I feel a little homesick.  I remember my dad taking me to clothes stalls, looking for red and black outfits for me and teaching me to pickpocket.

Speaking of pick-pocketing, four kids race up to Evie and I and try to steal our wallets.  Not the best thieves, honestly.  I look at the little boy and little girl, hair and face dirty and clothes torn.  "Just take it.  I don't need it," I tell them.  They hesitate, but I nod and they run off, giggling.  Carlos takes my hand and says, "Ben walked off."  I let him guide me down the streets.

Evie sighs and Ben tries to be friendly to a stranger, "Ben, stop. Just stop."  Ben frowns, "Why?"  I hiss, "This isn't a parade. It's the Isle." 

Jay says, "Keep your hands in your pockets unless you're stealing."

"You either slouch or strut," Carlos adds.

"You don't spread kindness, you spread chaos," I tell him.

"And never, ever smile," Evie finishes.

"Okay, thanks."  I hold up my hand, "No!"  Evie says, "No "thank you's," and drop the "please," too. Just...chill."

Evie-

Let me tell you something you can really trust

Everybody's got a wicked side