𝙤𝙘𝙩𝙤𝙗𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧

Fall was Heejin's favorite season. Something about the gold — to her — color of the leaves and the way they let go of their hold on the tall trees fascinated her. The big and tall bodies of wood that stood naked to fight against the hungry winds of the deep blue sky and the sound of them trying to resist had all her attention. She liked to observe the changes of nature, the sounds of the leaves that crushed under her shoe and the smell of the sliglty damp soil when the first rains started.

“I don't get why you like this so much,” a muffled voice sounded as the raven head buried her face in a freshly baked pastry they had purchased just a few moments ago from the local bakery “The weather is so...moody. The transition from summer to winter makes me feel depressed sometimes.”

Heejin laughed as she looked at the face of the girl walking beside her, hands intertwined and in the big pocket of her coat. They were on their usual afternoon walk around town so Heejin could take all the time she wanted to admire the nature and slightly cold and humid weather. Yet Hyunjin, the girl beside her eating the pastry, was never patient enough to look and wander around for long.

“I'm not sure. I find this type of weather inspiring, maybe even a little bit relatable.”

The only way Heejin could distract Hyunjin was with treating her something to eat— preferably bread— and of course, with a lot of soft kisses. But that was for later.

“How can you find a season relatable?” Hyunjin munched on her croissant and jumped, wiggling her arms around when spotting Haseul (their friend) across the street.

“I guess I relate with the leaves that fall off the trees they used to hold onto for so long,” she looked up at the sky, fingers tapping on her chin as she spoke “They remind me of people, of us. We try to hold onto something or someone so hard no matter the big changes and responsibilities we have in our lives. And in the end, we can't take it anymore. We let go, we fall. We let people step on us, hurt us. Just like leaves during Autumn.”

Heejin didn't know if her way of thinking about life was right or if it made any sense to the rest. The only thing she knew was that there's always an end, for some more tragical than the others, more painful and sorrowful. An end that's never good.

“So we're basically leaves,” Hyunjin laughed “That's dope. I wish I was a cat though.”

And the woman was lucky she wasn't one of those people. Thank whoever rules this world she had always had an easy life, been happy. She was thankful for everything she had, but like any other person Heejin had made mistakes. The girl was willing to admit to her mistakes and let them change her view on things, teach her more. She appreciated them.

“Oh!” the raven head dropped her croissant “Your phone is ringing.”

But not for long.

“please.accept wants to send you an audio file.”

Heejin's brows furrowed and she looked at her girlfriend. The girls exchanged unspoken words through quick glances and they agreed on sitting on a bench near the park, deciding to save the audio file and let it play.

“Greetings, Heejin-ah,” their mouth dropped when the voice of Jiwoo's sounded. They weren't expecting her voice to sound, not now “I hope your studies are going well.”

Hyunjin glanced at the girl sitting beside her, noticing how her limbs trembled at the mention of her studies. For a moment, she forgot a dead person was speaking to them and couldn't help but wonder why was her girlfriend reacting the way she was.

“I think, by now, you already know what this is about.” Heejin nodded, it was not secret between the group anymore after Jinsoul's and Jungeun's constant fights “Today not so many years ago,” Jiwoo stopped and laughed, she had lost count of the years “We were taking the most critical exam of our lives. The ones that determined our future.”

How could Heejin forget that day? Admittedly, it was one of the best days of her life. It was the day she took a step closer to making her dreams come true, a step closer to her ultimate goal; medical school.

Even when she was younger Heejin was very different from other kids. She adored reading about all types of things, asked Santa for books rather than toys from when she was old enough to read. Heejin would wake up in the middle of the night when she was younger, the biggest of smiles on her face after dreaming she was a successful doctor. Someone who would be able to help people when they need her the most.

“That scholarship both of us dearly wanted,” Jiwoo spoke “But only one of us got.”

Heejin's passion would soon turn against her. Besides, there's no medicine for guilt.

“Welcome, Jeon Heejin,” she breathed out “To the path of the truth.”

-kimwig