Chapter 8 Game Ogre

Paityn was asleep when she got a call at ten-forty five at night. She groaned as she grabbed her phone and answered it.

"Burkhardt." She said. 

"Hey, we got a homicide. I'm sending you the address." Nick said. 

"At almost 11 at night?" Paityn asked. 

"You know how it is. I'll see you soon." He said hanging up. Paityn sighed getting up and getting dressed leaving quite quickly. She got there getting inside beside Nick and Hank.

"Damn. Shame for him to die like this." Hank said. "He was a great judge," Hank said. 

"What time did he enter the house?" Nick asked. 

"Ten twenty-two P.M. Alarm went off at ten thirteen. " Wu said looking at them. 

"Gives us a good estimate on time of death," Hank said. 

"Were there any witnesses?" Paityn asked. 

"Nobodies come forward. We talked to neighbors on both sides, and across the street. Nobody heard anything." Wu said motioning around himself to the sides. 

"What about a wife, children. Anybody live with him?" Hank asked. 

"Judge lived alone. His wife died three years ago. No kids. Found a gun on the floor over here. We haven't touched it. Walther .32. We ran the serial number, registered to the judge. He purchased it in 1995, had a license to carry it." Wu said turning around to move to the gun. 

"We find any casings?" Hank asked. 

"One. Under the chair." Wu said pointing with his pen.

"At least he was able to get off one shot," Paityn said. 

"You find the bullet?" Nick asked. 

"Nothing in the walls or the ceiling. Windows are intact so unless it went out the door..." Wu started as if waiting for someone to finish his sentence. 

"Our killer might've been hit." Nick said. Paityn scoffed a bit. 

"He's gonna go to someplace so obvious it hurts." Paityn said. 

"Any blood trail?" Hank asked. 

"Plenty of blood, but it's all around the judge." Wu said. 

"If our perp took a shot, he'd need medical attention. Let's get an APB out to all the hospitals, clinics..." Nick started. 

"Also, tap the snitches for any surgeons working off the grid." Hank said. 

"On it." Wu said beginning to walk out. Paityn was kneeling next to the body when Sean came in. 

"Unbelievable." He said making her jump and fall a bit and she blushed getting back into kneeling position. "It's gonna make a lot of people angry." Sean said. 

"We think it was more than just a random act of violence." Paityn said. 

"Yeah, there's a lot easier way to kill somebody than to shove a gavel down his throat." Hank said. Sean kneeled next to Paityn and she smiled a bit but hid it quickly. 

"Patterson was one of the best judges we had. Worked a lot of cases that wound up in his court. He had, over 30 years on the bench." Sean said. 

"We requested all of the judge's case files." Nick said. Sean stood up and Paityn stood up slowly not to fall over.

"Start with the most recent, see if there were any registered threats." Sean said. "Sure made a lot of enemies in all those years." He sighed. A CSI agent came walking over to them.