[1]

"Alright, practice is over for today. Pack your crap up and get the hell off my field!" My coach calls from the sidelines as we finish our final sprint of the day.

I wipe my sweat covered brow on the back of my hand. I've been training this afternoon for two and a half hours, but the heavy summer air makes time go much slower and the session seem so much longer. It's harder to breathe when the air is this hot, every intake of breath feeling like I'm swallowing fire. It doesn't help that I have already overexerted myself and I'm trying to gulp down mouthfuls of air and water at the same time.

I collapse into a heap on the floor by my workout bag, my head pressed into the dry grass and my free arm held over my eyes. The sun was blinding me through my closed eyelids and I need shade, even if the rest of my body gets cooked. I blow out a heavy breath as I hear my friends on the soccer team walk over to where I'm laying and grab their stuff that's laid all around me.

"At least practice isn't going to suck like that for the rest of the year." A voice I know well says to my right and I crack open an eye to look at her. My best friend April is putting her long auburn hair back up into a high ponytail, her thin elastic headband hanging loosely around her neck like a necklace. Her green eyes are looking at her feet as she forces her cleats off without untying them, a long sigh escaping her lips as she wiggles her unconfined toes. "Preseason is finally over so we won't be training like that for a while."

"We'll just be training more nights a week." I remind her as I push myself into a sitting position. My dark hair is falling out of the bun I've had it secured in, so I pull it out and copy April with the ponytail. "That means less time for you to hang out with Derek."

I say his name with teasing behind every syllable and the harsh shove I recieve in reply is all I need to conclude April didn't find it funny. I laugh anyway, letting my head fall into her lap as I do so. April has been crushing on Derek Forrester since she was eleven years old and we were all in the same homeroom in middle school. We've been close friends for as long as I can remember, including my other friend Faye and my boyfriend Clay. Faye hates everything about soccer so she joined the cheer squad so she could act supportive of her two best friends, especially considering we were both made captains at the end of last year.

That and the fact the squad comes with us to every game that isn't on the same night as the boys football team, meaning she gets a lot of days off school like we do.

"Stop saying I like Derek." April hisses as she pulls slightly on my hair. April's eyes dart across the field to look at a cluster of girls on the team who are heading towards their cars. One of them being Derek's gorgeous girlfriend Raven DeNiro. She plays in defence with me and we're good friends and teammates on the pitch, but add April into the mix and Raven turns into an enormous bitch. I mean, you can undersand why because it's obvious April likes her boyfriend and they spend all of their time together, but being nasty won't get her anywhere., especially with April and Derek being so close.

"One, she can't hear us. Two, she can't do anything about it." I grumble as I push myself to my feet and grab my stuff off the floor. I find my eyes following Raven's retreating figure, my gaze glued to the fact she's not wearing her shirt anymore and is laughing in a sports bra and short training shorts. I cringe and scold myself for staring, looking down at my white socks that are covered in dirt and grass stains from a slide tackle I made during training, knowing that they're going to be a bitch to get out. Nobody knows that I like girls, and staring after them when they're wearing barely any clothing isn't the best way to protect my secret.

"Everyone knows you like him April, there's no use denying it." I sigh, pulling my cleats off my feet and shoving them into my bootbag, followed by my socks. I shove my bare feet into my sliders and hoist my bag onto my shoulder. "Just be more discreet if you don't want people to talk."