[28]

"I'll be outside in ten minutes" - Mackenzie

I know that I'm ready, but for some reason being given a time now has me questioning everything. Have I got my phone? Have I packed my chapstick, my credit card, did I remember to spray perfume and brush my teeth?

I quickly smell my sleeve and decide I haven't sprayed enough.

I've been ready for half an hour, staring at myself in the mirror trying to work out of what I'm wearing is good enough, if it will wow Mackenzie the way I want it to. I want to take her breath away, or knock her socks off as the saying goes. I want to leave her completely speechless, simply because I want to show her how much effort I went to in order to impress her.

She won't tell me anything about the date we're going on. She's told April and Faye because she wanted to make sure I actually liked what we'd be doing, and it was frustrating having to look at the smug, cheeky smiles my friends kept giving me all day yesterday.

She told me to be ready for around ten o'clock after the game yesterday, which we won by the way, and even refused to come to my house afterwards as she needed to make some final preparations.

I actually missed having her around, but with her being stubborn about it, she just discreetly kissed me before she left and told me that she'd see me tomorrow.

Tomorrow being today in approximately four minutes.

I don't know why I'm freaking out so much, it's only Mackenzie. It's only the girl I've had feelings for, for the past few months, the girl who makes my heart race and my palms sweat.

"Oh who am I kidding?" I mutter to myself as I pull down on the fabric of my summer dress. The baby blue material looks good against my tan skin, and contrasts well with my dark locks. I make eye contact with my reflection and smile shyly, tucking a loose curl of my hair behind my ear as I take in my outfit. "I'm terrified."

I admit, I feel like I've done well with picking my outfit. It only took me all of last night to decide on what to wear, and even after several changes of the mind this morning, I trusted my instinct and decided to wear what I planned. It's a pale blue, figure hugging sundress with small angels on the material, with ankle high gladiator sandals. I feel pretty with my pale pink eyeshadow, fake eyelashes and winged eyeliner. I just hope that Mackenzie feels the same.

I grab my small clutch bag from its perch on my bedside table, the contents containing my phone, keys, card and gum. I glance at my perfume and decide to put it in my bag just in case I need to spray again at some point during the day. I bite my lip as I run through yet another mental checklist before rolling my eyes and leaving my room. If I've forgotten something now then it's just tough and I'll need to deal with it. The more I overthink the more I panic, so I just need to get a grip and move on.

I hop down the stairs two at a time before sliding to a halt at the sight of my dad engaging in conversation with Mackenzie at the front door. Not only am I surprised to see my dad actually home from work on a weekend for once, but I glance at my watch and notice Mackenzie is a couple of minutes early.

Thank God I stopped having an internal breakdown long enough to not need to be called down to the door. Then I really would've panicked.

I can't help myself but just watch the two of them converse, my eyes studying Mackenzie as she talks to my dad. She's looking amazing as per usual, a baggy T-shirt tucked into the front of a pair of loose, faded mom jeans with rips at the knees. I can see her converse underneath the cuffs in her jeans, and a pair of sunglasses are pushed back in her hair to keep her blonde curls from falling into her face.