[15]

Thank you so much guys for 11k reads!! Love you all!!

~•~

Our school was dominant from start to finish, Clay leading our team to a staggering 42-0 win over Archer Tech. From what I heard, the after party was incredible, Jeremy Fowler really outdoing himself. His house is a huge, party perfect environment, and I heard that the whole school was invited in celebration of our first win on the road the state championships. From what I heard, everyone except the girls' soccer team attended and had a pretty great time. The snapchat stories showed people downing entire bottles of jäger before bombing into Jeremy's pool from third story windows, skateboarding around his house, lots of making out. I think there was even a video of Clay and Jeremy doing body shots off one another.

I stretch my arms high above my head as I drop my phone on my lap, done with looking at all the fun I missed out on to ensure I wasn't hungover for the game today. I didn't even go to the party to stand around and talk to friends. I dragged myself home, forcing all of my teammates to go home as well. I dropped off April, Raven and Mackenzie because they all live close to me after Faye, Devon and Kiara all found a lift to the party, leaving open seats in my car. The fact I made a good chunk of the squad go home means that if anyone turns up and I catch the whiff of alcohol or the sight of even slight tiredness I will ensure they're benched. I don't care how important to the team they are, if they're not 100 percent they won't play.

Our first game is a tough opponent against North Central High, a school about twenty minutes out of town. They beat us last year in the semi-finals of the state championships with an outrageous dive in the last seconds of the game which was given as a penalty. I don't hold anything against Gemma for not saving it because penalties are pure luck, but that dive cost us a spot in the final and I've despised the striker who cheated since. I push my covers away from my body and let my legs dangle off my bed, my eyes peering out of the window to see if my parents are home. They've known about this game for a few weeks now so I'm hopeful that they'll actually come and watch me play today. I can't help but grin when I see that both of their cars are in the driveway meaning that for the first time in a long time, they haven't left for work before I've even woken up.

I get ready quickly, brushing my teeth and washing my face before pulling on my school training top and matching joggers. Coach decided a few years ago that in order to look like we're serious about soccer, we needed to dress for the occasion. Cutting through a large portion of our travel budget, she bought and personalised every player, varsity and junior alike, with a tracksuit in the school's colours and our badge proudly embroidered on the front. We have to arrive in them, we have to leave in them, and we have to pay for their upkeep. Coach bought them for us, but we have to pay to fix them if they break. Nobody, especially on my watch, has let those tracksuits go to ruin. We even held a fundraiser my first year as captain to get all the money back that she spent, and even forked out on buying coach her own cap and personalised notebook with the school's logo and her initials on the front of the black leather.

She nearly even smiled when we gave them to her.

I jog down the stairs to see both of my parents sat at the island counter, my dad reading the newspaper with a mug clutched in his hand, my mom nibbling at a piece of toast as she reads over paperwork I'd bet is a new case she's working on. My mom is one of the best prosecutors in the state, her cases more often than not high profile and not always clear cut. My dad is the chief of surgery at the major hospital in the nearby city, although he insists that he hates the paperwork side of the job and tries to get in on surgeries whenever he can. Both of their jobs are incredibly taxing, meaning that my mom is always down at her law firm and my dad finds himself stuck in his office often than not, spending most nights sleeping in the on call room in fear a surgery comes up that he needs to be a part of.