[17]

Chapter 17:

"Alex! Get in the car before I bind you and force you in!"

"Kinky." I giggle like a little girl as I drunkenly sway over to the car Faye has been trying to persuade me to get in for the last five minutes. I was having fun inside Vanity Lounge, enjoying the occasional free shot attractive bar girl was sliding me every so often and dancing like I didn't have a care in the world before Faye told me that we were heading to Peter Morrison's house party to meet the rest of the soccer girls. "I didn't know cuffs were your kind of thing, Faye."

Faye rolls her eyes as she grips my forearm with a strong hand, my drunken state not even registering pain anymore, although I doubt she'd be holding me tight enough for it to hurt. She's steering me towards the car where Raven and Mackenzie are waiting for us with April, Kiera and Devon going ahead in an earlier car. I think April had had enough of looking after me so she jumped in the first car. Mackenzie looked like she wanted to follow but the car had driven off before she could get in, so here she is with a face like thunder as she looks at me.

Normally I would be hurt, or annoyed at the very least, about the way she's looking at me, but tonight is my "don't give a flying fvck about how Mackenzie Daniels feels towards me." And so far I'm having a splendid time. Turns out that being ridiculously carefree amounts to a great time. It also apparently means that I open my mouth and let anyone and everyone pour alcohol down my throat for me to swallow, Kiera having a great deal of fun pouring shot after shot of tequila in my mouth until I nearly heaved all over the floor.

This basically means I'm seeing double at this point.

Faye pushes me into the back of the car and slides in after me, unaware of the fact she's sat me next to a girl who really can't stand me at this particular moment in time. Both Mackenzie's send me a withering look before turning their heads and looking out of the window for the whole journey. I snort at the fact that I've had far too much to drink, looking forward so that I can calm my stomach which is currently doing flips inside my body.

Eventually the car rolls to a stop and I climb over Faye to get out, my brain needing cold fresh air on my face to stop myself from throwing up. I manage to stay upright as I stumble in the direction of Peter Morrison's front door, the sound of heavy techno and Clay's face greeting me at the front door.

"Here's my little soccer captain." He slurs as he rushes towards me and wraps me in a hug and spins me around on Peter's porch outside his door. I scream as he trips over his own feet and sends us sprawling onto the grass, our laughter drowned out by the music coming from inside Peter's house. The grass is damp and dewy against my exposed skin, a welcome coolness to the sweat that had built up during my time at Vanity Lounge. I wriggle out of my ex boyfriend's grip and lay on my back on the grass, my head resting on his arm as I try and stop my vision from spinning out of control as the rest of my friends leave me and walk inside the house.

I catch sight of Mackenzie looking at me with a dark look in her grey eyes, my stomach tightening as she rolls them and pulls the hem of her dress down. I spent the past two hours ignoring her, and now I can't help but stare at her as she storms inside, my gaze following after her toned legs until I can't see her anymore.

I let my head drop back on Clay's arm with a huff as I stare up at the sky, my eyes drawn to the clusters of stars that are just visible due to the light pollution in this area. I feel his hand playing with my hair as we both sit in a comfortable silence, enjoying each other's company for the first time in a very long while. I feel him shuffle under my arm after a while and I turn to look at him, a large portion of my drunkenness fading away after our laying down session. I turn to look at him to see him grinning at me, the knowing look in his eyes making me squirm the same way it did when we were kids. Clay, when he hasn't been encumbered with the weight of being my boyfriend, has always had this special talent for getting inside my head and flicking through my thoughts. He always seemed to know what was wrong with me, what I needed, and if I ever needed to talk.